Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 01:38 PM

170 posts, read 592,103 times

Advertisements

My husband (71) and I (59) have narrowed down our retirement relocation to Spring, Tx and will be making a weeklong trip there in July or August. Our trip is to scope out the area, get a feel for the town, traffic, etc. and determine if he will be able to tolerate the humidity. We have family and friends who live in Texas, but none who know much about Spring or the Houston area.

We would be looking to rent, either a 2 bedroom apartment/condo (with elevator access), or a single story home for up to $1600/mo.

About us:
We live in a town near Death Valley, so we're used to high temperatures. I lived 8 years in Long Island, NY, so I know I can tolerate humidity.

He is a California native, and I have lived in NV, WA, and NY (Long Island). He is Republican, I am Democrat. At our ages, we don't need good school districts, but a safe neighborhood, as statistics are that I will most likely be alone in my later years.

We do hope to work part time, he in retail and I in medical reception or similar, but it's not necessary (though it would help support my crafting hobbies, haha).

He loves to golf and hasn't had the opportunity since the pandemic closed access to our local military Base for sponsored civilians. He's a military historian, so volunteering in that capacity would be fulfilling.

I'm an artist, photographer, crafter, and birdwatcher who used to work in medical imaging. I also do set painting for our local community theatre. I love to fish!

We are foodies and tired of the VERY limited selection of restaurants here in our current rural town.

That said, we would love any advice about the area, how we should spend our week there, and what we should be investigating for our possible relocation, good or bad. Also restaurant recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 01:47 PM

10,006 posts, read 6,700,198 times
$1600 a month mortgage or rent?

Old 05-13-2024, 01:49 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 19 days ago)

8,442 posts, read 5,586,771 times
If you do a $1600 mortgage, would you be making a down payment or not? If not, that is gonna be hard to purchase with taxes and insurance. But if you have a down payment, then it will make it a lot easier.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:48 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,203,305 times
The Lone Star Flight Museum and the San Jacinto Monument might be of interest to your husband. There is a history museum in Old Town Spring that should be able to direct your husband to places that can use his talent and interest. Also check out some of the smaller museums in Houston like one for Buffalo Soldiers. The Museum of Funeral History has docent guided tours so could be fit as well.

There are quite a few galleries and other art-focused establishments in Old Town Spring itself.

For food you have to try Mambo's.

Why Spring if you don't mind sharing?

Old 05-14-2024, 03:59 PM

18,152 posts, read 25,368,296 times
Spring is very big
The post office in The Woodlands at Gosling and Woodlands Parkway have Spring address same goes for Cypresswood Golf club
and they are 20 miles away from each other

Old 05-14-2024, 08:35 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,051,569 times
Spring is not exactly a relaxing place for retirement. Why not consider some of the small towns on the outskirts of Houston. You can drive into the city for your foodie trips but otherwise enjoy all those relaxing activities like birdwatching and golfing during the week. I’m partial to the western towns (Sealy, Columbus, Brenham), but you could always look North or Southeast of Houston.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:33 AM

335 posts, read 264,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Spring is not exactly a relaxing place for retirement. Why not consider some of the small towns on the outskirts of Houston. You can drive into the city for your foodie trips but otherwise enjoy all those relaxing activities like birdwatching and golfing during the week. I’m partial to the western towns (Sealy, Columbus, Brenham), but you could always look North or Southeast of Houston.
I agree - Spring is a puzzling choice for settling down in retirement.

While there are some nice pockets here and there, the general trajectory seems to be on the decline, and some of the most violent neighborhoods in the metro are adjacent (e.g., Cypress Station and 45/1960 corridor), with spillover crime in Spring becoming increasingly common over the past decade.

If you want to be on the north side of the metro I would look further north - The Woodlands and Conroe for example are far better options.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:59 AM

18,152 posts, read 25,368,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post

While there are some nice pockets here and there, the general trajectory seems to be on the decline, and some of the most violent neighborhoods in the metro are adjacent (e.g., Cypress Station and 45/1960 corridor), with spillover crime in Spring becoming increasingly common over the past decade.

If you want to be on the north side of the metro I would look further north - The Woodlands and Conroe for example are far better options.
At the same time, The Woodlands seems to be growing South towards the Grand Parkway

Old 05-15-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
At the same time, The Woodlands seems to be growing South towards the Grand Parkway
I was about to say this. There’s more of the woodlands spill over going on in North Spring than there is crime spill over in South Spring. People are also too quick to call it Spring going north.

Sure, I’ll agree that The Woodlands and Conroe are the better places to retire though.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post

I whole heartedly disagree that Spring is on the decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston