Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 PM

37 posts, read 226,069 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the spring/woodlands area in june and wanting to know what issues affect life in that area? Are there tornadoes, huricanes, snakes, floods, certain bugs, rodents etc......... any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breriley View Post
I am moving to the spring/woodlands area in june and wanting to know what issues affect life in that area? Are there tornadoes, huricanes, snakes, floods, certain bugs, rodents etc......... any info would help.
No one answered yet, so I'll take an educated guess and say "yes" to all of them.

You still can get hurricanes further inland, but no storm surge (ocean swells) and the winds weaken noticeably maybe every 20 miles. Even an hour from the coast, it probably could be possible to get 2/3rds to 3/4's of the damaging wind force, plus 100% of the rain.

The Houston area gets a lot more tornados than the U.S. National average.

Floods? They have a lot of clay soil areas and copius amounts of rain sometimes; of course!
There might not be as much clay in north Houston since it's getting into the Piney Woods area.

Plenty of bugs like Florida apparently.

Rodents? Why not.

Anyone else?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 29,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
No one answered yet, so I'll take an educated guess and say "yes" to all of them.

You still can get hurricanes further inland, but no storm surge (ocean swells) and the winds weaken noticeably maybe every 20 miles. Even an hour from the coast, it probably could be possible to get 2/3rds to 3/4's of the damaging wind force, plus 100% of the rain.

The Houston area gets a lot more tornados than the U.S. National average.

Floods? They have a lot of clay soil areas and copius amounts of rain sometimes; of course!
There might not be as much clay in north Houston since it's getting into the Piney Woods area.

Plenty of bugs like Florida apparently.

Rodents? Why not.

Anyone else?
How often do you get tornados and hurracaines? and what time of year?

Blanch

Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
Tornados can happen any time of year, but luckily I've never seen one and I've lived here for 26 of my 33 years, only one real Hurricane (Alicia) which was back in 1984 or so.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 AM

37 posts, read 226,069 times
so as far as flooding what do you native texans mean i am from Ca. and when we say flooding thats water in the house and danger is that the same there and as far as a few people saying they have found snakes in the trashcans how often if ever does that happen in woodlands/spring

Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breriley View Post
so as far as flooding what do you native texans mean i am from Ca. and when we say flooding thats water in the house and danger is that the same there and as far as a few people saying they have found snakes in the trashcans how often if ever does that happen in woodlands/spring
Not a Texan, but I'd like to take a stab at it anyways.

Flooding I think also means water can get inside your house, but it's not neccessarily dangerous, just messy mostly. (mold damage) I think it can be dangerous in California because there can be landslides. Some of the homes are there built on top of sandy cliffs. The Houston area is much flatter than Los Angeles.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 PM

85 posts, read 350,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanch View Post
How often do you get tornados and hurracaines? and what time of year?

Blanch
Hurricanes during hurricane season. Tornadoes normally in the summer.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 93,259 times
How bad do Torando get in Hosuton and is there any Warning system in place are there specfic area that get more ?

Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
I have never seen a tornado happen in Houston when I lived there (was there for 15 years of my 16 years of life). Houston doesn't get a lot of tornadoes, and if one does happen it is usually an F1 or less and some don't even touch down on the ground. Nothing to be worried about. Flooding happens more in southeast and east Houston than in west, northwest, and north Houston. Hurricane Alicia and the 1900 Hurricane were the two only real hurricanes to hit Houston. I think many people like to exaggerate with Houston and hurricanes.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
I have lived in Houston since 1960 (except for three years in the late 60s) and have never seen a tornado up close. That's not to say it couldn't happen but they tend to not appear in the more highly populated areas (there are exceptions). As for the hurricanes that's another story altogether. With the changing climate, warming waters etc., hurricanes will continue to be a thread all along the coastal areas. We are currently in a cycle where more than the normal numbers can be expected but then last year was in the high activity cycle and nothing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston