Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:59 PM

5 posts, read 62,740 times

Advertisements

We're scouting out areas for possible relocation to Pearland from So. Cal.. After reviewing many of your postings,we've become very interested in the master planned communities in the vicinity of 288 and 518/59. My husband would actually be commuting south on the 288 but we don't think we want to be out too far in the country beyond Manvel. My husband flew out this weekend and has driven around and likes both the look of Southgate and SouthFork on the west side of 288 and of Silvercreek, Southwyck, Silverlake, etc. on the east.

I'd like to get some feedback on SouthFork and Southgate -- and any other communities you might suggest in that vicinity. Did someone have a problem with Cervella homes? Any major landfill impact? Any new major construction projects being proposed close by? And are there any concerns with the American Canal? Is it an earthen levee?

I'm also very interested in comparing the schools at the high school level --namely, Manvel H.S. (Alvin ISD) on the west vs. Pearland H.S. on the east of 288. (I have checked out websites and spoken to district admins.) I know that PISD is starting up the new Dawson H.S. to serve Southwyck area, but our 16 yr old DD daughter with Autism will be in in the special Life Skills program that will only be offered at PHS next year. (This program is slated to start at Dawson 09-10.)
I'm more concerned with comparing "campus environment or climate"--safety, tolerance, staff involvement, celebration of differences and encouragement of varied interests/talents amongst ALL students, adequate facilities, district support of special ed programs, strong parent involvement, and general community acceptance of the disabled population. (I also have a post on the Parents/Special Needs children forum with more questions/details about my daughter.)

Thanks so much for any comments. I've enjoyed and valued the insights from previous postings among you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,886 times
I would NOT buy a Cervelle home....period. The bigger homes in Southfork look ok. I don't particularly care for Southfork at all....just my opinion. I would focus on Silverlake, Silvercreek (beautiful area) or Shadow Creek Ranch (beautiful area as well). Also take a look at Sunrise Lake off FM 518 and Lakes of Highland Glen. I don't know much about the high schools in the Alvin district, but I hear positive comments about Pearland H.S. all the time.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM

15 posts, read 90,208 times
Default Co-sign

I have to agree with honey. My boss (to be read significant other) and I are also looking to buy a home in Pearland. We went to SouthFork on Saturday and were greatly disappointed with the courtesy of the salesperson and with the overall community. Fair warning: The salesperson says that they plan to add some more parts to SouthFork, so it will ultimately be much larger than it currently is. You may want to consider Stonebridge or Pearland Park Estates off of Pearland Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
I would NOT buy a Cervelle home....period. The bigger homes in Southfork look ok. I don't particularly care for Southfork at all....just my opinion. I would focus on Silverlake, Silvercreek (beautiful area) or Shadow Creek Ranch (beautiful area as well). Also take a look at Sunrise Lake off FM 518 and Lakes of Highland Glen. I don't know much about the high schools in the Alvin district, but I hear positive comments about Pearland H.S. all the time.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM

I appreciate the feedback and ideas for some other areas to check out. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Where exactly is he commuting to? So it's not in Houston?

You might be better off looking a little further east like Friendswood, or west. Going west, Elkins is a good high school.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi! He'd be commuting to Angleton. Like to keep the drive time to about 40 minutes or less, doing the speed limit--more or less! What city and school district is Elkins High in? We'd still like the convenience of a full service supermarket for groceries nearby, too.

thanks very much!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 23,806 times
I live in Southfork in a Cervelle home. I have no problems whatsoever with Cervelle as a builder.

While the sales agent in Southfork is not the best people to work with, I got a hell a lot of more home for less money than I found looking at some of the other developments in the area. I was only looking for new construction so other places like Silverlake didn't appeal to me at all.

There are homes from the original builder (Royce Homes) in Southfork that have never been sold - a few on the man-made lakes. The comments posted that Southfork is still under development is absolutely correct. However, the problem is not that it is getting "a lot bigger" but that the original developer is completing the development on a string.

They originally planned on homes from $250K and up but when the market crashed they lowered the entry level to the $180k (Cervelle) and now they've allowed KB homes in for the third-phase $150k. There's not enough land left for it to get too much bigger. The county is extending Kirby to the west of Southfork so there can be no more than one more phase added.

The HOA dues are really reasonable. The pool and recreational areas are well maintained. I live on American Canal (it's really ditch) and I have no concerns about it at all. The FEMA 100 year flood plane map basically places it outside of any concern (Federal Emergency Management Agency). Last summer when we had some really big storms blow through the area I drove through several developments and Southfork had no flooding whatsoever. I can't say that for Shadowcreek or some of the others.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the schools because I don't have kids. Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. Cervelle is terrible both in design, construction and curb appeal. I wouldn't buy one on a bet. I don't know why, but there are foreclosure sale homes in Southfork that have never been lived in.

Shadow Creek Ranch, Silvercreek and Silver Lakes are all viable alternatives.

Just sayin'...
\
Ronnie

Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 PM

454 posts, read 1,585,884 times
I lived in Silvercreek and we loved it there. Great community. Silverlake is nice as well, but I like how Silvercreek was it's only little subdivision in the Silverlake area and it was closer to 288, because the traffic going in and out of Silverlake can be a bit slow from time to time, so being near the highway is a plus.

If you had to commute to Angleton, you may want to look into Rosharon as well, there are a few other subdivisions south on 288 towards Angleton that are not much further out of the way. Traffic South of 518 flows pretty well, so if you live 4 miles more to the South, it's only 4 more minutes to Houston. I agree with the others in not liking Southfork, Southgate, etc...when you walk in the homes, they just didn't feel right to me. I left Pearland for Katy last year and I loved the convenience of Silvercreek. The golf course, movie theater, grocery shopping, gas station, etc...was all less than 3 minutes away. That is just amazing. We moved because it seemed crime was steadily getting worse, traffic was getting much worse, and the area just kept feeling less and less wholesome. The neighborhoods were still great, but the Wal-Mart off of 518 has became a dump and I refused to go there, Target is heading in the same direction.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,669 times
Anyone considering Southfork needs to read the article at the link below. To summarize: it was recently announced that Metro has bought land to build a large Park and Ride near Southfork's main entrance. This Park and Ride is probably going to be a mixed blessing for Southfork (and nearby SouthGate), but overall I think it could hurt it's growth more than help. Just my opinion.

Metro to buy tract for area Park & Ride | Ultimate Pearland (http://www.ultimatepearland.com/2010/03/pearland-lands-park-and-ride-along-texas-288 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston