Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,244,915 times

Advertisements

According to my handy dandy hurricane book from the NWS Workshop, if a Hurricane the size and strength of Rita hit the west end of Galveston Island and followed a direct NW course inland...Katy could expect sustained winds from 109 MPH to 133 MPH depending on exactly how close the eye got to it. The chance of that happening are exceedingly rare, but...it could happen. I surely hope not though since by that time, what was left of my house (probably a foundation) would be under water. Not many of those non-brick, tract homes could withstand that, but a solid built house that has been boarded up well and with reinforced/braced garage doors (one of the biggest weaknesses) could make it with some serious but recoverable damage, assuming a tree didn't take it out first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM

3,270 posts, read 5,654,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Rita didn't do anything to Katy. I think a few leaves got blown around.

Guess not ... they were 150 miles west of the storm's eye/path. Gotta be in the storm's path to have damage! It was a huge storm but not that big!

Did I really need to post the obvious? I don't know ... maybe so.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,429,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Report it to a mod. People are not supposed to use the rep system for that reason...it really irks me when that happens.
Thanks, and you will get a rep from me!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 AM

108 posts, read 485,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4Life View Post
If a hurricane was a Cat 5 and hit directly on land towards Katy, it most likely wouldn't even be a Cat 1 by the time it reached Katy.

Wow! I can't believe how many posts like this I am reading. You people really need to educate yourself on the power of these storms. Do some digging on the internet about inland hurricane strengths. I hate to sound so harsh but *IF* that day ever comes you need to be prepared.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM

3,270 posts, read 5,654,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Wow! I can't believe how many posts like this I am reading. You people really need to educate yourself on the power of these storms. Do some digging on the internet about inland hurricane strengths. I hate to sound so harsh but *IF* that day ever comes you need to be prepared.
Thankyou for the affirmation!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 PM

743 posts, read 2,073,230 times
A question regarding Hurricane Rita. When were the residents able to return to their homes (after mandatory evacuation on September 21)?

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 07-20-2008 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,129,350 times
It depended on the area. My home in Chambers Co. was without power, water, and gas for 2 and a half weeks. Technically, I could have came home after a week or so (as soon as the roads basically cleared), but the town was dead with no place to buy anything. Some areas came back earlier, some (like Sabine Pass) are still coming back. In general, you wait on the resumption of utilities.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
According to my handy dandy hurricane book from the NWS Workshop, if a Hurricane the size and strength of Rita hit the west end of Galveston Island and followed a direct NW course inland...Katy could expect sustained winds from 109 MPH to 133 MPH depending on exactly how close the eye got to it. The chance of that happening are exceedingly rare, but...it could happen. I surely hope not though since by that time, what was left of my house (probably a foundation) would be under water. Not many of those non-brick, tract homes could withstand that, but a solid built house that has been boarded up well and with reinforced/braced garage doors (one of the biggest weaknesses) could make it with some serious but recoverable damage, assuming a tree didn't take it out first.
Even here in Waco, we were getting winds within the 30-60s when Hurricane Rita hit.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
A question regarding Hurricane Rita. When were the residents able to return to their homes (after mandatory evacuation on September 21)?

I went from Webster to Sugar Land. Spent the night in Sugar Land when it hit Port Arthur. Came back to Webster the next day without a problem. There were some branches & fences down in the neighborhood but it was easy getting back. We were in a Cat 3 evacuation zone due to being 8 miles from the bay, but not everyone left. They didn't force anyone out of their homes.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,433,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4Life View Post
If a hurricane was a Cat 5 and hit directly on land towards Katy, it most likely wouldn't even be a Cat 1 by the time it reached Katy.
Since I've been through 2 hurricanes I have tell you that you are very mistaken. I lived in Florida for almost 15 years and I can say from experience that you should never underestimate what a hurricane can do. I was in the Bahamas when Floyd hit in 1999 and I was in Punta Gorda Florida when Hurricane Charley came ashore in 2004. Charley also did extensive damage in the Orlando Florida area on its way across state. Thats 140 miles inland from where it came ashore. Katy I think is about 100 miles from Galveston so to say that it couldn't happen is very wrong. A catagory 5 hurricane could easily still be at a catagory 3 level a lot farther inland than Katy. Say its unlikely if that makes you feel better but never underestimate the power these storms have and the distance they can travel before downgrading. Just becasue it hasn't happened doesn't mean that it can't. Thats how people die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston