Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALPS View Post
what is the best way to survive heat? Stay indoors with the AC on?
My advice is don't stay indoors all day, just because you see a particular temperature forecasted, or even because everyone around you is staying in. Not everyone senses heat the same way...

Try to find out for yourself what you find comfortable or tolerable.
That's how I found out I can enjoy weather into the high 90's and low 100's F.

Wear loose, lightweight clothing, stay hydrated and pace yourself and you might surprise yourself at how much heat and humidity you can ignore/deal with.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM

17 posts, read 73,445 times
how does one stay cool? do the outdoor swimming pools help or do they heat up too much to be refreshing? I"m guessing a garden hose-sprinkler is good... also, this is a fashion/weather question: Do the ladies wear pantyhose in all that heat? I realize that it is proper to wear them with suits and heels, but is there any "allowance" made for the temperatures, or do professionals just stay in a/c and 'deal' with it? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

85 posts, read 350,817 times
I have seen 90 degree weather in January. If you do not like Texas weather, wait a minute, it will change.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALPS View Post
how does one stay cool? do the outdoor swimming pools help or do they heat up too much to be refreshing? I"m guessing a garden hose-sprinkler is good...

also, this is a fashion/weather question: Do the ladies wear pantyhose in all that heat? I realize that it is proper to wear them with suits and heels, but is there any "allowance" made for the temperatures, or do professionals just stay in a/c and 'deal' with it? Thanks.
From what I know about watching pool temps, I'd suspect that in summer Houston in-ground pools with some sun will be from the low to high 80's F most of the time. That'd be cool enough to be refreshing for me, but I know some people in Canada who don't like pools above 80 F. If you don't want the pool above 80 F you might have to refridgerate it...

I also suspect that tap water is probably around 80 F (or a little higher) in Houston pretty much year round. (if your pipes are burried). Our tap water in Toronto is a bone-numbing 45-55 F year round.

Excellent question about fashion.
I too would like to know if employees in TX are commonly allowed to relax their dress (as in dress code) during summer.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM

107 posts, read 569,200 times
Quote:
I too would like to know if employees in TX are commonly allowed to relax their dress (as in dress code) during summer.
Of course each company is different, but the places I've worked either have a relaxed summer dress code, or a relaxed year-round dress code.

When wearing suits, most of the women I know either wear pant suits, or wear their skirt suits without pantyhose. They're mostly women under, say, 45 though. Seems that women above that age still follow the more traditional look of the panty hose.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
We moved to the Houston area in late October from the NW and we are wondering when it starts to get uncomfortibily hot? I have so far been pleasantly surprised that there is somewhat of a winter in Houston. I'll be honest, y'all had me scared with previous threads stating that Houston is hot and humid about 360 days a year. I was worried that it never cooled off.... or is this year a fluke?? Also, when do the mosquitos show up? I had to deal with them in October (especially on Halloween) but since then, it has been great. I am unfortunately allergic to them. ouch!

Thanks for the info!
~K~
Houston does generally have some pretty "kick-back" relaxing weather this time of year. December through February are the coldest months here. March is pretty rainy. April and May are generally pretty pleasant. All in all, I'd say it is bearble in Houston between October and June. But when the heat comes, you'll wonder if HELL can be much worse. One thing that i hate about Houston is the humidity in the summer. You can't escape the heat, even in the shade.

Slightly off topic: It gets reeal hot in Las Vegas and Phoenix. It's a dry heat as to where the winds feel hot. So its just as bad in those cities. If you've ever been to those cities and made it, you can pretty much make it anywhere.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
About the second or third week in may but you will not really feel till june & it lasts till the first of october.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
About the second or third week in may but you will not really feel till june & it lasts till the first of october.
I think it comes much earlier and last much longer

Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times
This is a typical winter in Houston. I don't know why people are posting ridiculous comments like Houston NEVER gets cold...lol. I have NEVER seen 90 degrees in January and I've been in Houston all my life. The humidity will start soon, probably late this month or early April and will last thru the end of Sept. or early October.....get ready it's coming.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 33,163 times
I try to keep the AC off until sometime in May. After that the AC stays on until late September / early October.

I would recommend trying to spend some time outdoors even when it is hot as heck so that you acclimate a little. Preferably in shorts and tee shirt in the evenings for a nice walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: