Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times

Advertisements

We got our U-verse today. I think picture looks more clear than comcast did - however I don't like that you have to buy a box for every tv ($5/mo per box) versus just plugging into the cable connection in any room like we could w/Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks TravelGuy_73,

Well, it would be nice if we can just get basic cable. We used to have this in our apartment. We have HDTV and an antenna. The antenna is little small.

When I say basic channel I mean UPN 20, WB 39, FOX 26, NBC. The owner of the house told us that they were not able to capture the signals using their antenna. Not sure what kind of antenna they used.

I would like if I don't sign up for any service and get the antenna working. I will buy a new antenna maybe more powerful and then try to catch the channels. The good thing about the antenna is that I can always return to Wallmart if it does not work.

OK, so are you talking about an indoor antenna? An outdoor or attic-mounted antenna should give you what you want.

Antenna Web can walk you through the process of finding the best antenna
AntennaWeb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
Outdoor will give you about 90% more signal than you get from a set of rabbit ears. An outdoor antenna mounted inside the attic gets 50% less signal.

Mount it outside, and high up. Maybe off the chimney. You should pull in about 20 digital channels

Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM

925 posts, read 4,709,234 times
Hi,

I am talking about an indoor antena. I was able to use the antena and get the analog channels but they look pretty bad (Analog duhhh). Anyway, I went to buy an antena (a good one) but the saleperson said that there is no use of buying an antena since it will not work after Febuary. I told him that I got HDTV but he said you will need to buy a convertor or get basic cable (pay service). I am not in a mood to pay to watch TV as I don't watch that much. maybe 1-2 hours a day. All I need is a basic cable with basic channels. I think I need to check out the DTV link that someone posted.

Thanks,

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM

One question is'nt the convertor box for analog tv's. My TV is already HD so why should I need a DTV convertor box.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Just because your TV is HD (High Definition) doesn't mean it's set up for receiving DTV (the Digital TV signal). Based on where you live, if your TV does indeed have a built in DTV convertor, you should be able to get all the channels clearly because you aren't that far away. Sounds like you should check your TV's technical literature.

You know you have DTV if you are seeing this example: Channel 2 has 3 digital channels, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3. Channel 2.1 is the regular station, 2.2 is 100% weather and 2.3 is crap. Channels 11 and 13 are also set up like this. Lots of Espanol channels are mixed in there, too, something like 30%. Overall, there are about 30 DTV channels you can receive with your antenna.

Last edited by tstone; 10-08-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi tstone,

Thanks for clearing that up! Yes I used to see channels like 2.1,2.2,2.3, 13.1 39.1,39.2 etc. This means that I have DTV. So, all I need is an antena that will work. I will try to get a new antena and see if it catches signals or not. The problem is that I am putting the antena in door right above my TV. Maybe If I move it around it will catch some signals.

Thanks for all the helps!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Look into one of those Terk outdoor antennas for the top of the house. (Be sure to ground it.) It doesn't have to be a giant eyesore. See: terk outdoor tv antenna - Google Image Search

Have it wired via cable to the outlets sticking out of the wall. That way you can just plug each TV (or converter box) in as if you had cable.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Well, that is true but I guess searching for the channels online and sometimes the sites are down. There are many things that can go wrong these days.

I prefer TV for news, food channel, discovery, WB 39, Fox, UPN etc
If you want Food Channel & Disc and others, an antenna does no good, as those are "cable" channels. If all you care about are basic channels, they are all pretty much the same (Uverse, DirecTV, Comcast). The difference comes in when you start talking about DVRs, or multi-room service, or the breadth of HD channels, etc.

I would find out the cost for each service for a basic package, then choose the one you like. Not much difference at that level.

I am familiar with all of them except Uverse. I have an OTA antenna for HD reception of local channels, I have Comcast (full package), I have a Comcast DVR, several TiVos, and I have DirecTV (and DVRs) at our ranch in Brenham. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Stuart

PS: I don't use Uverse because they have a serious HD limitation--only one HD recording at a time. There are times (Monday evenings, for example) when I might be recording 3-4 HD shows at once! Thank goodness for multiple TiVos!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks astrohip,

Yes, I think I would stick with the basic channels. I am not much into watching TV anyway. I guess I will go and buy another good antena and see if it catches signals.

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston