Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times

Advertisements

I'm sure, like me, y'all have had cable, dish, Comcast, Dish Network, Direct TV and rabbit ears. Those of you that have uVerse, what's the verdict on that? I'm thinking of switching.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM

174 posts, read 488,191 times
i have uverse.. we have cable and wireless internet... nothing major. I think it's just like all the others... ~$100/mo

Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
I have had it for a couple of years, I was one of the first areas in NW Houston to get it. I like it just fine, but it isnt anything to rave about. I have U300, HBO, and the cheapest dsl. My bill is right at $150 after all the bull-s taxes.

Their customer service is TERRIBLE though. Everybody else is probably just as bad, but I want to stab them in the eye with a soldering iron every time I call.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM

192 posts, read 504,683 times
I had Comcast about a year & a half ago, and currently use AT&T U-Verse. The overall cable/internet package is comparable, but the main reason I switched was the horrendous customer service at Comcast (not sure how they're doing these days).

I would say the overall price is less than Comcast, depending on how many TVs you use. There is an additional charge per TV, so if you own 7 TVs in your household, the price can go up quite a bit.

Other minute differences: wireless is automatically provided, the "Guide/channel listing" interface is nicer, and if you use DVR - any recording can be seen on any TV.

I have very little experience with Dish Network & Direct TV to compare.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

192 posts, read 504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Their customer service is TERRIBLE though. Everybody else is probably just as bad, but I want to stab them in the eye with a soldering iron every time I call.
Haha and I just posted otherwise. I, luckily, have not encountered too many bad apples in the customer service department at AT&T U-verse. Comcast, however, consistently seemed to have people who were either too busy socializing or simply had no problem solving skills to help attack a problem. I ended up switching two households to anywhere but Comcast.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
Haha and I just posted otherwise. I, luckily, have not encountered too many bad apples in the customer service department at AT&T U-verse. Comcast, however, consistently seemed to have people who were either too busy socializing or simply had no problem solving skills to help attack a problem. I ended up switching two households to anywhere but Comcast.

Ijust called Monday to try to get a better deal. Smart guy offered me a package that was about $12 cheaper amonth for six months, then a couple dollars more per month than what I pay now. Id have to give up channels I like to do it. I said that wasnt good enough, so he "found" a slightly better deal. I said ok. He tells me they are having a hard time collecting the old receivers when people move so they are asking people to put a credit card on file to secure that. I said I have moved with your service and I did return the equipment, so they should trust me now.

He said the better deal was contingent on getting a credit card on file.

I told him to shove his deal up his........well you know.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
I've been using it for a few weeks and really like it so far. Seems very reliable. Won't miss my dish where TV would go out whenever it rained. Only issue with U-Verse is if you have more than 2 HDTVs, my setup only allows for 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams at once. So you'd have to interrupt another TV or DVR recording if you exceed that. We only have 2 TVs in the house, so it's not really an issue for us. Something to consider.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
my setup only allows for 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams at once. So you'd have to interrupt another TV or DVR recording if you exceed that. Something to consider.
I agree it has been very reliable.

To add to the point above, you have to be careful you dont schedule several HD shows to record to the dvr at the same time, it will lock down and make you choose which one to cancel.

You just have to remember to not dvr HD shows that dont really need to be in HD.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,960 times
I have Uverse 300 and DSL and only one TV. I love being able to record 4 programs at the same time, but you can't record more than two in HD, and if you want to watch a saved one when HD is recording, you won't be able to. I can't compare with other providers because I went form network tv, no cable to Uverse.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 PM

75 posts, read 196,716 times
I like the recording feature the best and able to watch from any other TV in house.
A few years ago we had Comcast and it was just to expensive for what you got.....we pay about 120 a month for internet and TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston