Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,904 times

Advertisements

Good day Houston! I am relocating from Philadelphia and seeking neighborhoods to live. I will be working downtown. I have a 45 lbs dog who will be moving with me. When I interviewed, it seemed like there is a lot of restoration going on. I am seeking an area or apartment that is safe, dog friendly, and may have a dog park attached. Research has shown that Houston is a very pet friendly city. I am trying to compare neighborhoods to Philadelphia but it seems to be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Buy or Lease? Budget?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 PM

61 posts, read 81,029 times
As someone from the North, Midtown or Heights should be perfect for you, will remind you of home.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:13 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberg31 View Post
Good day Houston! I am relocating from Philadelphia and seeking neighborhoods to live. I will be working downtown. I have a 45 lbs dog who will be moving with me. When I interviewed, it seemed like there is a lot of restoration going on. I am seeking an area or apartment that is safe, dog friendly, and may have a dog park attached. Research has shown that Houston is a very pet friendly city. I am trying to compare neighborhoods to Philadelphia but it seems to be a challenge.
Whatever you do stay away from this particular dog park: Grand Jury No-Bills Man Who Shot Dog at Park | Houston Press

Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,904 times
I am looking to lease right now and can swing 1300-1400 for a one bedroom but there seem to be some really nice 2 bedrooms for a couple hundred more. Ideally I'd like to go less or find a roommate to share a really nice 2 bedroom 2 bath or larger. What type area is the heights? I have heard Midtown is pretentious 22-25 year olds running wild.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
The trendy areas people recommend on here will be full of out of staters and yuppies. Its hilarious that people recommend the same 4 neighborhoods over and over.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
45 pound dog apartment? good luck.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:10 AM

186 posts, read 209,392 times
I have a couple friends that moved here from Philly. They live in Midtown and really enjoy it. They are early 30's and live in a little town home cluster with really cool neighbors. They were able to find rent through a private owner (not a rental company) and they were fine with their 30-40lb pit mix. It's a little spendy up there rent wise though.

As far as an apartment with a dog park attached, I only know of one off the top of my head in Upper Kirby which is a little farther over than Midtown but still inside the loop... Pearl Greenway. Another friend of mine lives in that building. It's really nice.

You may have to do some real shopping around to find an apartment within that budget that will allow a larger pet. We only have a cat so I don't have any experience with finding a place with a bigger animal.

We live in the Post 510 (south Midtown, kind of between Midtown and Museum District. "Neartown.") building though and I feel like our rent is really good. We have a 900sqft 1.5 bedroom and we pay $1510/mo. I don't know what their max weight limit is on dogs, but I know they go over 30lbs. They have a one bedroom opening up at the beginning of August for $1400 so finding a unit within your budget may be possible. No dog park though, but a lot of people have dogs in our building.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:17 AM

61 posts, read 81,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
The trendy areas people recommend on here will be full of out of staters and yuppies. Its hilarious that people recommend the same 4 neighborhoods over and over.
Where do you recommend?

As someone from out of state and being on my own, like many, I enjoyed being in the same type of situation and meeting others who were in similar shoes. Midtown, The Heights, Rice Village, Montrose were all great places to get started as everything was close and in walking distance once the work day or week is over.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:10 AM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
Look at some of the apartments on Almeda. There are a few existing ones, two towers, and a new one under construction. That area is only about a few miles form downtown and is located in close proximity to Herman Park. I see people with their dogs all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: