Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times

Advertisements

Okay - usually the last two weeks before Christmas, the malls are packed every day. Went to Baybrook today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remember in previous years. Traffic wasn't bad either -- not as bad as a typical Saturday during non-holiday times.

Do you think consumers are really scaling back this year other than necessity gifts for family (kids, spouses, immediate family, etc)? How is the mall situation in your part of town and are you cutting your Christmas consumer spending?

Have Houstonians finally conceded that there is a recession that has finally extended its arm to us as well as the rest of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,433,741 times
I have noticed the lack of customers in many of the stores I've shopped. I have yet to go to the mall...I try to avoid it at all costs!
Did much of my shopping on-line this year...push of a button and it's delivered to my front door...Now that's my kind of shopping!
Not sure if most are doing the same or they really are scaling back on the spending this year.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
The traffic around the Galleria has been ridiculous! I'm dreading going there this weekend but I have to go in order to finish my shopping.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have noticed the lack of customers in many of the stores I've shopped. I have yet to go to the mall...I try to avoid it at all costs!
Did much of my shopping on-line this year...push of a button and it's delivered to my front door...Now that's my kind of shopping!
Not sure if most are doing the same or they really are scaling back on the spending this year.
Yeah, I've been doing the online thing a lot as well, particularly the sites where they'll Christmas gift wrap it and deliver it to my out-of-state or out-of-city recipient. Shopping and not having to go to the post office -- priceless

Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,220,437 times
I think many of the Baybrook customers were over at the stores on Bltwy 8 and Fairmont Pkwy. That place was an absolute madhouse this evening.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,515 times
The malls that I walk are just as busy as normal as far as people and parking. But, what I have noticed is that they are not carrying as many bags.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
I have to be really desperate to buy something to go to a mall. Otherwise, I rely on online shopping or any other option to avoid going into a mall.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Okay - usually the last two weeks before Christmas, the malls are packed every day. Went to Baybrook today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remember in previous years. Traffic wasn't bad either -- not as bad as a typical Saturday during non-holiday times.

Do you think consumers are really scaling back this year other than necessity gifts for family (kids, spouses, immediate family, etc)? How is the mall situation in your part of town and are you cutting your Christmas consumer spending?

Have Houstonians finally conceded that there is a recession that has finally extended its arm to us as well as the rest of the country?
I think people are underestimating how many shoppers are using the web to purchase gifts. UPS and FedEx have practically lived in my neighborhood the last 15 days.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,288 times
For those that have to get out this weekend, one place you might try is Macy's downtown. I went last year the weekend right before Christmas to pick up one last minute thing and it was a breeze. I don't think anybody ever thinks of it on a Saturday.

I did venture into the belly of the beast Tuesday, braving the Galleria. It was not crowded at all. Of course it was a Tuesday. I usually pull in the entrance on Galleria 3 right off of Sage and park on the lower level when it is crowded, it seems the easiest to get in and out of.

As a sort of side note, it has been a while since I have been through the whole Galleria. Man, that little orphan section just isn't the same. (Section III between Saks and the original Macy's). I remember when it used to have the Ralph Lauren shop, Sharper Image, more nicer stores and during the Holidays they had someone playing a piano in the court with a profusion of poinsettias all around. Now it was just....dead. Looked like Almeda mall or something. Low end looking stores, & that Fox sports grill that stretches all over in a thinly veiled attempt by management to just gobble up some space. Several empty slots, and at one end by the windows overlooking Sage, there used to be a smoothie place, it was gone too. I guess Macy's taking over the old Foley's spot and the addition of Galleria 4 just did that section in.

The Galleria II still looks good, but it seems to have suffered from the loss of Lord & Taylor. The conversion of that space to smaller retail also seemed to have a sort of, I don't know, struggling feel? They put a Payless shoe store in there. Payless? That just doesn't seem to fit the mix of clients for the Galleria.

The new section is nice, and maybe I am just an old curmudgeon, (well, I know I am an old curmudgeon, but I digress), all those cart merchants in the middle of the mall that assault you with whatever nonsense they are selling really got on my nerves. Maybe it was just me. Bah Humbug!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 AM

I agree - Payless does not belong in the Galleria - maybe in a strip mall nearby but not in the actual Galleria. Galleria has always been high-rent for high-rent customers and I think it should stay that way - that is part of its uniqueness in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston