Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:19 AM

24 posts, read 83,218 times

Advertisements

Hi there... merry christmas everyone!!! Thank you for taking your time out to read my thread....
My husband and I just moved here from Canada and he wants to get a house in Magnolia, some peace & quiet whereas i m looking into the suburbs as i didnt want to be far away from the amentities etc.. can someone please advise if Magnolia is far away from groceries stores, strip malls, hospital etc? i like the country too but because of our baby, i did not want to be too isolated.. Is Magnolia a safe area to live in? good schools? crime rates?

my husbands thinks that magnolia is going to be more develop in the next 5 to 10 years and the houses will sell for more then.... your thoughts??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Magnolia is rural but is safe and has a decent median income which equals good schools. I assume you are not working in town or commute is not an issue? I wouldn't plan on buying rural housing around Houston and hoping for any large appreciation in value, only houses inside the beltway typically appreciate above inflation and even that is not guaranteed.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Four people from my Champions area subdivision moved to Magnolia. Two have come back to their 1960 home. Too far out and bad traffic. In the last few years many longing for a semi rural lifestyle have moved out that way. In five years, it will look like all the other Houston suburbs. They will cut down all of the trees, put a CVS and a gas station every 500 feet, then plop in 3 Walmarts with 2 miles of each other. That's Houston. Most people are thrilled to get close to what they paid for a house. The builders sell out the subdivision, go down the road, build another with a house just like yours for 5000 less.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Wow Crone - bitter much?

OP - Magnolia is a nice place to live, especially if you are looking for more of a "country" feel without having to live 2 hours away from everything. The Woodlands are pretty close by and there's all the amenities you need there. I have a friend who lives in Magnolia and loves it there.

Where would your husband (or you) be working?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:59 PM

He's working in Sam Houston Parkway..north i believe. Think it will be about a 40 mins drive to work for him but he goes to work like 5.30am...maybe traffic won't be that bad? I am not working...currently but have intention to when little one goes to school in say 5 years? As my husband travel sometime..and it will just the 2 of us in the house..so I want to feel safe and close by to amentities and living in the "country" at the same time..

Crone, I hope it won't get as crowded as Katy in 5 years. I quite like Cypress area too...but I can see that it is starting to developed quite a bit.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
I am not bitter at all. I live in a free enterprise economy. Just pragmatic. What do you think will happen when the population doubles in 30 years. That bucolic lifestyle will be over. For every car on the road you see, there will be two For every person walking through the aisle at the supermarket, there will be two. For every shopping center you now encounter, there will be two.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Hasn't the Woodlands pretty much spread to Magnolia, or at least right at its doorstep?

What is that east-west main road north of the Woodlands, 1488? I had not been out there in years, since it was truly country. Now that road is all lined with Home Depot, Ross, Krogers, Chilis, etc. Looks like another FM 1960. It has really built up out there in recent years.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Hasn't the Woodlands pretty much spread to Magnolia, or at least right at its doorstep?

What is that east-west main road north of the Woodlands, 1488? I had not been out there in years, since it was truly country. Now that road is all lined with Home Depot, Ross, Krogers, Chilis, etc. Looks like another FM 1960. It has really built up out there in recent years.
Pretty much. There are still pockets, but it's not near as isolated as before.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Is the drive to Sam Houston Parkway North terrible in the AM?

I am glad to hear that there are stores nearby so I don't have to drive an hour with my 11 weeks old son whenever I need something.. I suppose the nearest town will be woodlands if I want to do some shopping..or drive to the Premium outlet mall.

The Tax out in magnolia is cheaper than in cypress/Katy.. I like the space as my dog can go bananas running around and I can have a pool and swim in my privacy. Hopefully it won't get too crowded when the place starts developing..

Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Buy yourself 5 acres and then you can have your privacy no matter how crowded it gets .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston