Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfused View Post
Ok, here is my situation. I currently live in chicago, have a job which I like, pay is somewhat ok too but I dont see any advancement within my company. I have been to houston many times and I really like it there. I have few friends there as well so I know some people/area there. Main reason I would like to relocate because I am just sick of cold weather and also the cost of living in chicago.

I know the current economy is bad almost everywhere and obviously I do not have any job lined up in houston. I have enough savings for me to survive for 3 to 4 years even if I dont work. I have 0 debt.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to just quit my job and move to houston in this current economy and look for job there? I have to move out of my place by MAY because lease is up. Oh and I am in IT field.
I don't think moving without a job lined up is a good idea, but since you have a lot of savings, it wouldn't be impossible. Your savings will definitely go further here than they do in Chicago, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I think all of you recommending that the OP "get a job lined up" before moving are underestimating how challenging it is to land a job long distance. Most companies prefer to hire local candidates whenever possible unless the applicant has very specialized skills that are difficult to find locally. And Houston is so large, it has a large local talent pool.

Anyone with 3-4 years of savings should be OK moving here. It will be ten times easier to job hunt for a Houston job while living here than while living in Chicago.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 34,015 times
I do agree with all of you to land a job first and then move. However I also agree with Topaz that it is going to be very tough landing a job while I am still in chicago. I can provide houston address on my resume but I cannot keep flying back and forth for job interviews.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Quote:
Jesse69, start crossdressing at work? is that how you relocated to houston, tx? lol
Chicago is very discriminatory to crossdressers, and I often got laid off through "corporate restructuring" or etc if a company thought I was gay because of crossdressing. I was restructured out of 1 job, but I did collect unemployment. I suggest you start getting into womens clip op earrings, then a blouse. If that don't get you laid off, you'll have to resort to a skirt. If they still don't lay you off from that, just say you're thinking about a sex change and come to work in full drag! I say professionally attired in a beautiful skirt suit would work! - It'd probably be fun doing this! Definitely don't quit = no unemployment!

My brother tried to purposely underperform so he'd get laid off; it worked and he collected unemployment.

I got hired at a temp job in Houston directly through a phone interview with Schlumberger because I have a rare combiunation of skills that qualified me for the job.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:05 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Smile Why don't you buy a house with cash??

Quote:
Ok, here is my situation. I currently live in chicago, have a job which I like, pay is somewhat ok too but I dont see any advancement within my company. I have been to houston many times and I really like it there. I have few friends there as well so I know some people/area there. Main reason I would like to relocate because I am just sick of cold weather and also the cost of living in chicago.

I know the current economy is bad almost everywhere and obviously I do not have any job lined up in houston. I have enough savings for me to survive for 3 to 4 years even if I dont work. I have 0 debt.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to just quit my job and move to houston in this current economy and look for job there? I have to move out of my place by MAY because lease is up. Oh and I am in IT field.

If you have 3-4 years savings then maybe you should buy a house with it paid in full. Then you would have no house payment. If you spend your savings on living expenses then it is gone and you have nothing to show for it. You thereby would become poorer

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Better selection of food than Chicago? You have to be kidding.

I like it here, but it is really difficult to find authentic ethnic foods. You can find some (There is an Indian area, but it is no where near as large as the one in Devon on Chicago). In Evanston, there was a variety of authentic ethnic foods including Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Italian, Kosher, etc. All of these were actually within a long walk or a short train ride from my house.

Food is a little bit cheaper here, that is true, but more selection, not that I can tell and aside from restaurants, we had ethnic grocery stores that stocked particular foods fairly close by.

Dorothy
It's "difficult" to find "authentic" ethnic food in Houston? Houston is an international port city that has access to the outside world!

Some 80 to 90 languages are spoken here, it's the 3rd or 4th leading US city in number of foreign consulates and it's "difficult" to find ethnic food here?

Outside of the main corridor of Hillcroft for Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern fare in Houston, let us also recognize that there's STILL quite more of it along Bissonnet, Wilcrest (Savoy Restaurant has delicious Pakistani food), Beechnut, Kirkwood, West Bellfort, Westheimer, etc. Isn't that the beauty of a decentralized city like H-town?

Is there a decent quantity beyond the boundaries of Devon? It's been a good while for me but...

Quote:
In Evanston, there was a variety of authentic ethnic foods including Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Italian, Kosher, etc
Like there isn't a variety of "Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Kosher, etc" here in Houston.

Houston is just about as ethnically diverse as Chicago...but thank goodness we don't really have that closed off neighborhood mentality of Chi-town.

I am a native of NW Indiana and I'd known Chicago's way quite well...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Better selection of food than Chicago? You have to be kidding.

I like it here, but it is really difficult to find authentic ethnic foods. You can find some (There is an Indian area, but it is no where near as large as the one in Devon on Chicago). In Evanston, there was a variety of authentic ethnic foods including Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Italian, Kosher, etc. All of these were actually within a long walk or a short train ride from my house.

Food is a little bit cheaper here, that is true, but more selection, not that I can tell and aside from restaurants, we had ethnic grocery stores that stocked particular foods fairly close by.

Dorothy
Oh bless your heart. The only thing you can get in Chicago you can't in Houston is hot dogs and pizza (both of which NYC knows how to make exponentially better and Chicago, well, doesn't.) You cannot get the quality Tex-Mex, Cajun, Soul Food, Southern Cooking, Dim Sum, Brazillian, Central American, Indian, Greek, Vietnamese, Thai, Pakistani, Nigerian, Seafood etc etc. in Chicago that we have in Houston.

It is incredibly laughable that you honestly opinionate that Chicago has remotely the selection Houston has for food.

Chicago is no slouch on the food scene, but trying to marginalize Houston's food scene is not a stretch, it's a perverted reach.

Houston/London foodie

Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Oh bless your heart. The only thing you can get in Chicago you can't in Houston is hot dogs and pizza (both of which NYC knows how to make exponentially better and Chicago, well, doesn't.) You cannot get the quality Tex-Mex, Cajun, Soul Food, Southern Cooking, Dim Sum, Brazillian, Central American, Indian, Greek, Vietnamese, Thai, Pakistani, Nigerian, Seafood etc etc. in Chicago that we have in Houston.

It is incredibly laughable that you honestly opinionate that Chicago has remotely the selection Houston has for food.

Chicago is no slouch on the food scene, but trying to marginalize Houston's food scene is not a stretch, it's a perverted reach.

Houston/London foodie
OK let me knock two of those straight off your list buddy, because I AM INDEAN and i can safely say that there arent any good indean/pakistani restaurants in Houston; certainly nothing compared to CHICAGO"S DEVON STREET. I dont know where your getting off on some of those buddy but you obviously have no clue when it comes to south asian cuisine.

however cajun; southern foods are unbeatable here in Houston; except for maybe in Lousiana... not too sure.

the other categories I have no expertise in so I wont comment

Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
It's "difficult" to find "authentic" ethnic food in Houston? Houston is an international port city that has access to the outside world!

Some 80 to 90 languages are spoken here, it's the 3rd or 4th leading US city in number of foreign consulates and it's "difficult" to find ethnic food here?

Outside of the main corridor of Hillcroft for Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern fare in Houston, let us also recognize that there's STILL quite more of it along Bissonnet, Wilcrest (Savoy Restaurant has delicious Pakistani food), Beechnut, Kirkwood, West Bellfort, Westheimer, etc. Isn't that the beauty of a decentralized city like H-town?

Is there a decent quantity beyond the boundaries of Devon? It's been a good while for me but...

Like there isn't a variety of "Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Brazilian, Kosher, etc" here in Houston.

Houston is just about as ethnically diverse as Chicago...but thank goodness we don't really have that closed off neighborhood mentality of Chi-town.

I am a native of NW Indiana and I'd known Chicago's way quite well...
you also have no clue what your talking about when it comes to South Asian food;

Savoy lost its delicousness a while back; and the place is so crappy to sit and eat;

Honestly, there is nothing like Devon street I dont know what you people are talking about!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
yes. see, a lot of people who think theyre expert on foods really have average taste buds. maybe much like ALL the food experts on TV, its mostly attitude and traditional 'spices'. food and wine expert hahaha these people are so clueless

has anyone had mussels on spicy curry sauce around here? Vietnamese places in the NE has them. I also have not seen my favorite dimsum dish 'spare ribs on black bean sauce' cooked and served like i get them in NYC. i get the tiny one here with tons of black beans ikks

if your favorite restaurant serves only white meat (especially chicken) its just that typical westernized asian fusion blah restaurant. you should just eat at home because you can just get the microwaveable ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: