Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,397,062 times

Advertisements

What are some of the more liberal areas around Houston? What towns/suburbs/communities have a liberal rather than a conservative bent? I started looking at Sugar Land, based on property values, only to find that it is the home of ultraconservativism.

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
Midtown, Montrose, Upper Kirby. The inner loop west area.

What are you looking for? Lifestyle, schools, or overall atmosphere?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Suburban = none. Well, maybe in the predominantly black parts of Missouri City. However that's going to be a different type of 'liberal'. The ones I know out there are still church-going & extremely family oriented. That's a different type of liberal vs. a young white guy who moved to a home in the inner-city ghetto to fix it up for a potential profit.

I do know in Clear Lake there were a couple of precincts that voted almost 50/50. But those precincts were essentially groups of apartment complexes, lots of college (UHCL) students, and they had a horrible voter turnout to boot. In the neighborhoods it was still a good 60/40 'conservative.' Not like these Republican hacks today are true conservatives....

I never thought Sugar Land was 'ultra' conservative. More like a red shade of purple. Ultra-conservative would be more like the Texas Panhandle.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
Sugarland gave us Tom DeLay, so I would say it was conservative.

The more progressive areas would be closer in. Montrose, Heights, Bellaire, those would probably top the list, although most closer in areas would probably be more liberal. I would include Westbury & Meyerland too. Of course that is painting with a broad brush of generalizations. Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
This may be of some help... here are some maps showing how the precincts in Harris County voted in the last two presidential elections: http://images.chron.com/content/news.../obamamaps.pdf

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Outside of the city proper nothing comes to mind. Inner Houston ends and Texas begins quite quickly.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
This may be of some help... here are some maps showing how the precincts in Harris County voted in the last two presidential elections: http://images.chron.com/content/news.../obamamaps.pdf

Great info!

Looks like if you're in the "trendy" spots inside the loop and west of S Shepherd / Greenbriar, you're in the moderate red-zone. Even then, what's "blue" in the trendy zone is still moderately blue.... not like some people here would like you to believe. It does appear a good majority of the solid blue areas are ghetto. No surprise there.

And those Memorial Villages seems to be the 'reddest' part of the city limit. They have something in common with the outer hick-ville areas. Hmm... BTW do I see some segregation way out east? (You don't say... )

Though I am surprised heavily Hispanic Pasadena is completely moderate red. Lots of barrio on the SE side is moderately red, too.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Personally I wouldn't use the results of a single election to be the definitive political litmus test of any location. There were a lot of unique factors in the '08 presidential election. Then of course mixed in there are some political freaks of nature like myself who don't fit into any partisan divisions

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Sugarland gave us Tom DeLay, so I would say it was conservative.

The more progressive areas would be closer in. Montrose, Heights, Bellaire, those would probably top the list, although most closer in areas would probably be more liberal. I would include Westbury & Meyerland too. Of course that is painting with a broad brush of generalizations. Your mileage may vary.
Haha, Bellaire??

Surely you jest.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Haha, Bellaire??

Surely you jest.
Yeah, this is where you get shot by cops in your own driveway if you're black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston