Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 88,953 times

Advertisements

Any one know much about Dayton,tx. Crime,school , flood zone, distance to downtown houston if going to commute to work there? how would you rate this town? tax are they high for this erea?
thk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:39 PM

61 posts, read 401,917 times
Dayton- Decent on schools. School has an excellent football team, is currently a 4A (size) district
Crime- Not bad, its a small town so it has its share of domestic disturbances, and other misc stuff.
Flood zone depends on where you live. Dayton sits on the West bank of the trinity river, and is surrounded by flat lands. Used to be a big rice producer, so in other words holds water in a lot of areas. North of town doesn't flood so much.
Drive time/distance- Not sure on Downtown I would estimate 45min - hour. When US 90 is done from BW8 to 610 and the direct connect to 610 is done, will be a lot better drive. Guessing this will be done in 3-8 years. An option would to live south of dayton near/along SH 146, and take it south to I10 and use it to drive in to downtown.
Taxes- Unsure, I am not in DISD.

Overall- Not a bad town, growing fast. Nothing outstandingly positive about it, no big negitives.

Just a couple side notes, careful if buying property in the area of FM 1413. There is an old Toxic dump site that is under study for cleanup. The owner of the rights to the company that did this (might be Exxon, I forget) is going to clean it up, but some people complain about cancer rates and contaiminated water. Also locals are raising a fuss about a proposed roadway through the area. The Grand Parkway (SH 99) is proposed to go west of Dayton to make the third loop around Houston. A bunch of old heads that don't want to see growth, and disinformation are causing a little ruckus.

Hope I covered everything for you. Other Options on the east side of Houston relatively close to dayton would be Mont Belvui (Spelling isn't right), Cleveland. Each of those is along a major freeway for a relative straight shot to downtown.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 15,731 times
I am a Dayton resident, we have a very good school district. Low crime rate, taxes are much less than Harris{Houston} county, has to do with the fact we have a large tax base. Flood, Dayton is 84 ft above sea level one of the highest in all of SE Texas. And I may say that we in Dayton are looking forward to the Grand Parkway as well as I-69
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston