Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 PM

70 posts, read 180,533 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are potentially relocating to Houston for work and also for an exciting personal/family change - I guess trading the extreme cold winters in Canada for extreme hot summers in Houston. We also have a little baby, so we are looking for more of a family oriented suburb.

I understand the commutes are generally brutal. We could probably work around and early start/early finish to our work days, and would likely both be working downtown. We have been looking around and Longwood seems to be a nice area. But have heard good things about Sugarland, Katy, Spring and the Woodlands. I guess there are lots of places in a metro area that is so huge. Which of these areas would be best as far as commutes go?

House prices are incredibly reasonable. But the property taxes are huge - I would say they make up for no state income tax and probably are a huge factor in keeping housing prices low.

Anyways, I guess I would just like to know what area (of Longwood/Cypress, Woodlands, Spring, Katy, Sugarland) would provide a good family neighborhood with a good school system and also a reasonable daily commute time.

I am going to be down there in early April and would like to take some time to drive around and see some of these areas.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
As far as Longwood/Cypress goes, the traffic on 290 is aweful. Cypress is in the transitional area between the woods and coastal prairie. Now that I-10 is finished, Katy is not too bad and Sugarland is about the same. Both of those areas are located out on the coastal prairie but have some areas with mature trees. Woodlands is a lot longer commute than it looks (up to an hour +) but is a beautiful community in the southern edges of the piney woods (I personally like trees). Another option that you have not mentioned is Kingwood, also located on the southern edge of the piney woods or Summerwood/Fall Creek. Both of those areas probably have better commutes than the previously mentioned areas and are also pretty close to Lake Houston if you like that sort of thing. Finally, there is Clear Lake/League City and Pearland/Friendswood to the south which all have good schools and a commute about the same as Katy and Sugarland but have the additional features of being near Clear Lake and Galveston Bay.

Needless to say there are many areas that may suit you as far as schools and commute. It will be the additional ammenities that will help you make your decision.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Agreed. Commutes are brutal, but 290 is the worst of them. It's only going to be even worse if and when the expansion comes. The Woodlands is a close second for bad commutes.

If you like the pine trees, Kingwood is the easiest.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies... it is very helpful and will help narrow the focus a bit. I thought the commute from Longwood would be shorter since on google maps it says it is closer... but I guess the traffic is that much worse!

Personally, we like nice mature trees and a fair sized backyard. I will certainly look into Kingwood as I have not heard of this one yet. I guess the commutes on I-10 and 59 (from NE or SW) appear to be the easiest.

Any thoughts on Atascocita? Is that a nice area, or would Kingwood be a better option for what we are looking for? Atascocita just apears that it could be a shorter commute.

Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
I love Atoscocita shores with the homes on the water. But I think the commute would be pretty bad. What is your price range? You could live in town in places like the Heights,Garden Oaks,West U,Briargrove and have a great commute. But it can be pricey.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks westres... comments appreciated

I think we are looking for min 2300 sq ft and 4 bedrooms, max purchase price $350k (although I would love to be closer to $250k). I assume to get that in a nice area that we would have to go further out into the burbs... just the way it goes I guess. Maybe in a few yrs we could afford a nice home in the city.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I work near downtown and my office has employees who live in all directions. It is generally agreed that going north is the worst commute of all, unless you can find a transit option so that it isn't you doing the driving. Check out park and rides, express buses, and carpools...those can help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston