Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM

74 posts, read 179,781 times

Advertisements

Bender's Landing Estates in Spring Texas

Now this is interesting. Hadn't even thought of toxic waste in any soils or wells. Another question for realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM

265 posts, read 597,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
What I heard in another thread is that apartment complexes were overbuilt in 77014, 77090 and 77068 zips of Spring ISD. Especially low-income apartments.
That's basically the gist of it. They built too much, too fast. And now everyone is suffering.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstnbnd View Post
Vintage Creek Drive-Spring TX 77379

Does anyone know about this specific area? Any opinions? Thank you for taking the time. I am in another state and will be traveling to Houston again within a month for only a week so I am trying to narrow my search area to just a few.
Yes, I know it very well. That is Memorial Northwest. I grew up there and still have family in the subdivision.

MNW is sandwiched between Gleannloch Farms and Champion Forest, both typically a little pricier. From day one MNW was always one of the cheaper subdivisions on a psf basis. There are also some pockets of much more expensive housing adjacent to it in places like Sterling Court and the Falls of Champion Forest. Back in the 70's it was cheaper than Wimbledon, Huntwick or Greenwood Forest, but with the exception of Huntwick it has now exceeded some of those other areas because of the popularity of the schools.

The area is very low crime and the elementary school and middle school are located within the subdivision. The developer of the Falls at Champion Forest recently bought the last open tract of land across Theiss Mail Road and developed another nice subdivision there. The biggest benefit is now there is very little, if any, open land left right around the subdivision that could accommodate apartment development.

The earlier sections have nice two story homes typically 2500 - 3500 sq ft. After the oil bust the developer switched to building these really large brick blobs which I don't think were very attractive. They were not the best built and they had very little exterior detailing. They sold at bargain prices per foot and featured a lot of interior trim, two story entries, game rooms, 2 stair cases, and square footages of 4,000 - 7,000 sq ft. They are shoved up on top of each other though, often on 3' lot lines. I think the older sections are actually prettier, but they do offer a TON of space for not a lot of cash, with great schools, a nice well maintained subdivision, and low crime.

There isn't a great deal of appreciation out there, it is just pretty steady.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM

You are awesome! There is a large home there that just blew me away...something like 7,000sf for 350k..amazing, my hubby appreciates good quality so he will be looking closely for that in any home. Thank you again!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstnbnd View Post
You are awesome! There is a large home there that just blew me away...something like 7,000sf for 350k..amazing, my hubby appreciates good quality so he will be looking closely for that in any home. Thank you again!
The fit and finish is kind of ehhh, but there may be some detail work you can add to bring it up to what you want. If you look on HAR and click on the map and then the "bird's eye view" function, you will be able to see more of the setting and if the homes being too close together bother you. Google may have street view out there too which would show it as well.

All and all it is a nice quiet neighborhood. One of the more popular ones out there right now.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM

What had surprised me was the fact that many of those homes were on the market for a very long time, some over a year and I thought it strange because of the "deal".

I'll definetly check out the map at a closer view...it just seemed to me that the houses were so big that "I" was my neighbor! lol...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 AM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
you should really stay away from Spring. it is only going to get worse.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
you should really stay away from Spring. it is only going to get worse.
You see, this is what is so frustrating...(please, no one take offense). How do I know if this is a true statement or someone who just does not want others relocating to their area? I have been a single family homeowner for nearly 30 years, understand HOA's, which I disagree with on many of their petty issues and the larger ones we pay for them to enforce what LAWS are already on the books that the police/county should be monitoring, beef up the police force! Anyway, sorry about the tangent, relocating to a "virgin area" is very difficult and many do rely on the comments of others to be truthful. I truly thank all who have responded trying to give me a well informed answer.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I highly encourage anyone looking to rent or buy to drive thru the area after school and on the weekends. Most neighborhoods are quiet during the day it is when everyone comes home you can tell what it is really like. If no one is walking a dog,playing or working in their yard,jogging then it probably isnt a very nice area. On the other hand if you see the things described in this old post then move on.

This is probably the best most common sense answer I have read in here from another thread.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
i guess i should have given more of an explanation. large houses are cheap for a reason....the surroundings. go to youtube and search for Spring high schools.....Westfield is one of them. high schools are a good representation of what a community is like obviously. if you like what you see then buy a house in Spring...if not....go further north. I live in Montgomery....which is about 40 minutes northwest of Spring. It is far enough out to where the worthless thugs that have overtaken areas like Spring will not be there for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston