Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

I am leaving my ex-fiance and selling our house in NJ.
Fortunately, we will both get enough from the sale which will allow us both a new start.
I do not want to stay in NJ because there are too many reminders of her unfaithfulness.
Thankfully, we did not have children.
I am 44 and single, and WAS LAID OFF A MONTH AGO as well.
So, I have nothing to keep me in NJ anymore.
I am booking a trip to Houston to see if I like it.
I am looking for a big change and want to live in a large city.
NYC is too expensive.
I know this sounds rather impulsive, but I have been cautious for too long.

I will be starting over unemployed in Houston, but will have a 2-3 years salary in cash.
Please give me some ideas of where to get started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Hold up - I thought nobody moved here unless they had a job or family. You might want to check and see if this is legal first.

(jk)

Do check it out first, Houston that is. You're definitely going about it the right way. You've probably got enough to correct a mistake if you make one. $1500/mo gets you a closet in Manhattan but you can pretty much name where you want to live in Houston for that kind of money and actually have some space.

I wouldn't spend too much on a place to stay at first, if you're unemployed. You don't know how long it's going to take to get a job, so you want to stretch your money as much as you can.

When you're down here, figure out A) where you might want to live and B) where you might stay there. Rent a car. You're going to need it.

That's pretty much where you start. You might ask where to look to live, and you're going to get people from all over, in the city and the burbs, telling you something good about wherever they live/want to live. If you're looking for the closest thing to Northeastern-style urbanity, downtown or Midtown near Gray/Webster/Bagby etc. is where to look. I stress the phrase "closest thing to." There's probably more culture shock when it comes to people from the Northeast getting used to how spread out Houston is, in terms of both layout and population. Density is more in pockets than everywhere like in NYC, but increasing especially inside Loop 610. Outside 610 and even some parts inside, roads get wider and development is more sprawling. Big box retailers with huge parking lots and the like. Since you don't know where you'll be working before you get here, you might end up having to commute before moving closer to work, unless you decide you like driving in Houston that much. It's a huge city space-wise, but the only way you'd be required to go any further than a mile or two for anything on a day-to-day basis unless you're working further than that. And especially as a renter you'd be doing that out of choice, since chances are there is something within your range close to where you work and you'll still be close to everything else you need regularly (grocery store, post office etc.)

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 PM

91 posts, read 293,530 times
When I moved here last October, I rented a room in someone's house for a couple of months. It worked out perfectly. I got to live in The Heights, an area I really like, and get to know the city before committing to a place long term. I landed in Bellaire because I wanted to rent a house and that's where I found one at a decent price and not far out (with central air!). There are so many nice areas in Houston. It helps to give yourself time to look around and discover what suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: