Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 10,611 times

Advertisements

Im looking to possibly buy something in the Katy Cinco Ranch area and a floorplan I really like is a Pulte. Ive visited several places and asked them how long will it take to build. Pretty much everyone has said 4-5 except Pulte. They say about 3 months. They say they will have your closing date exactly and they wont miss it. And if they do miss it, there is no penalty for them. Seems to me they may try to rush it. Whats your take on Pulte homes?

Also any info on Lennar, Ryland, or Chesmar would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
I would check into Pulte's current status. I thought they were going to file bankrupcy. Lennar is a good builder IMO.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
I few years ago, Pulte would consistently rank in the top 3 among home builder quality. I haven't checked recently.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Pulte is not the best builder. Also any builder who says they can have a house up in 3 months...well lets just say I would be skeptical. make sure there is no fine print on that time line, i.e. 3 months after the foundation is pored vs. 3 months from the time you sign on the dotted line. 6 months is a more typical time from from signing to built.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
I know nothing about Pulte but in this housing market I should think you would be able to negotiate a really great deal on a builder's inventory. If it was me, I would take more time to see if you can live with an existing house that a builder is anxious to unload. In addition to a better price than on a new-build, you could likely get some significant upgrades such as higher end appliances, maybe fencing or a sprinkler system. If you aren't working with a realtor you might want to consider doing that. They can negotiate on your behalf and get some goodies you might not be able to get on your own.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Perhaps I know about Pulte better then most. They buy my product and have to by contract for the next 16 years till the contract expires. I been working directly with the Supers as well as their Customer Service and nearly all their home buyers for the past 8 years.

Pulte is not in bankruptcy and not likely to even in this economic depression. They been around for 55 years since Bill Pulte built his first home in Michigan. They win the JD Powers award almost every single year which rates customer satisfaction. In fact they won more JD power awards then any other builder. You will see proof of this at the front door of any Pulte Home where you will find a 4" brass emblem put into the cement sidewalk. Pulte is also recognized as an Energy Star Builder which is not an easy award to win. Yet they been winning it every year that I worked with them.

About 8 months ago Pulte bought out Centex outright for $1.3 billion and now is the largest Builder in the USA. They are not as big in the Houston area as they are in some other large cities. For example Pulte owns Las Vegas with little strong competition.....Pheonix and Miami being huge markets too.

I would not be afraid to buy a Pulte Home but I can not figure out why they told you 3 months. During the heyday years during the boom they were building average homes in 3-4 weeks just like everyone else except the KB Builder and the Beezer Builder type cheaply built homes which I was seeing closing in 2 weeks. A custom home? Yea 3 months but not a stock plan cookie cutter in a subdivision.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Huh...

Pulte bought Centex?

In 2007 we visited a Centex model. The sales rep said Centex could build a house in 3 months. They were cheap but BIG houses (over by Barker Cypress/Clay)

So hey, maybe Pulte is doing it the Centex way now

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Huh...

Pulte bought Centex?

In 2007 we visited a Centex model. The sales rep said Centex could build a house in 3 months. They were cheap but BIG houses (over by Barker Cypress/Clay)

So hey, maybe Pulte is doing it the Centex way now
Noooo Pulte is doing it there way. Pulte bought them.

Builder Pulte Homes to buy Centex - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
During the heyday years during the boom they were building average homes in 3-4 weeks just like everyone else except the KB Builder and the Beezer Builder type cheaply built homes which I was seeing closing in 2 weeks. A custom home? Yea 3 months but not a stock plan cookie cutter in a subdivision.
A home built in 3-4 weeks is ok but a house built in 2weeks is cheaply built?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM

343 posts, read 942,117 times
Highland Homes told me around 3 months to build a 2100 sq ft home. After everything I have read including here I still do not know if that is too quick or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: