Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

is it just me, or is this year worse than others? I'm dying here. Throat itchy, nose stuffy, overdosing on Alavert/Claritin/Insert Favorite Drug Here. WTH? It's May! Why are we still having these extremely heavy bouts of tree pollen and...did I see ragweed on David Paul's forecast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
HORRIBLE! I was just noting that to DH this evening. Claritin and Puffs with lotion are my best friends right now. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse because it feels like it's on the milder side of what I've experienced previously when living in TX.

The funny thing is that we went out to run an errand today and the moment we entered an AT&T store, my eyes started watering, my nose started running & all I did was sneeze. As soon as drove away, I was much better. Wonder what I might have been allergic to there.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I was miserable because allergy medicine like Claritin gives me such painful headaches that the side effects are as bad as the allergies themselves. Then I tried BioAllers Outdoor Allergy homeopathic tablets that I bought at Whole Foods Market and it both greatly reduced my allergy symptoms and didn't cause side effects, at least in the short term. The theory behind homeopathy sounds crazy but I can't deny how much better I feel when I use this stuff. However, now I'm worried about the long-term effects of taking whatever is in these pills. The ingredient list is a mile long.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
Wednesday was the worst for me. I took off work and played some golf.....I could barely see the golf ball because my eyes were so swollen and red.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
It's not just you. Really.

I thought I was shaking mine off, but it seems that I had a rather scratchy throat the other day. Glad it got no worse than that during finals week. I survived.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 AM

454 posts, read 1,586,212 times
I go to the doctor twice a year and get a steroid injection....I just got my spring shot about 2-3 weeks ago. No issues since then. Allergy meds have never worked with me, but the shots take care of me in about 2 days time, and then I am home free until the fall. Then cycle and repeat.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,895 times
It's not just you. My allergies are driving me crazy(ier) this year - more so than normal. I've tried allergy shots in the past and they did nothing for me. I think the last two years have totally done me in - I have year-round allergies and the symptoms never really go away. I thought it was just ME having the problems.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Have any of you tried Nasalchrom? - was prescription years ago but is otc at any drug store now. It takes a week or so to be fully effective. Basically it takes a couple of sprays each day and what it does is sort of coat your nasal passages so that the allergens you breathe in can't stick which is what causes your body to release the hystamines that cause the allergic reaction. A couple in my family use in preparation of ragweed season so that they don't get sick during ragweed season - seems to help a great deal. Start using it a couple of weeks before the heavy season and stick with it daily throughout. But you can also start using it now to get help with whatever is flaring you up now.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Don't forget how much rain we got last month. Remember all that flooding around Memorial and to the NW. Clear Lake/SE side also received about 16 inches of rain spread out over a week & a half. I'm sure other parts of town got swamped as well. As they say, ''April showers bring May flowers.''

It looks like the flowers/pollen are coming from the grasses around here. Check out the vacant lots around the south half of town right now. My yard finally dried out enough to mow and it was ridiculously thick.

This time of year + the previous abundant rain + abundant sunshine is the perfect combination for the grass to blow up along the coastal prairie, and then the prevailing winds from the S/SE make everyone suffer all over the area.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Don't forget how much rain we got last month. Remember all that flooding around Memorial and to the NW. Clear Lake/SE side also received about 16 inches of rain spread out over a week & a half. I'm sure other parts of town got swamped as well. As they say, ''April showers bring May flowers.''

It looks like the flowers/pollen are coming from the grasses around here. Check out the vacant lots around the south half of town right now. My yard finally dried out enough to mow and it was ridiculously thick.

This time of year + the previous abundant rain + abundant sunshine is the perfect combination for the grass to blow up along the coastal prairie, and then the prevailing winds from the S/SE make everyone suffer all over the area.
We just put 2 & 2 together on the way up to the in-law's today. We virtually had no rain during Jan, Feb, and Mar--then in April a total deluge...which would explain it just as mentioned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston