Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

ExxonMobil tends to recruit from the country's top universities top GPA's -- from what I heard I think it is rather rare that they get their pool of employees elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 AM

152 posts, read 537,419 times
They do hire experienced hires off the street.
They also hire contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
ExxonMobil tends to recruit from the country's top universities top GPA's -- from what I heard I think it is rather rare that they get their pool of employees elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,675 times
Not good time to be a contractor now. Even at majors, those are the ones that will go first if and when the layoffs come around. While previosly being a contractor was a gravy train, now there is alot more scrutiny.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
There are quite a few Calgarians in Houston. Our cities' economies are rather similar (and our culture - big rodeos and stereotypical cowboy culture). Is it possible you know someone already here that you could network with and find a good line on employment?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
One thing is for sure, you get a lot more House in Houston for a lot less than Calgary.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 13,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
There are quite a few Calgarians in Houston. Our cities' economies are rather similar (and our culture - big rodeos and stereotypical cowboy culture). Is it possible you know someone already here that you could network with and find a good line on employment?
I've already tried my network of friends including old bosses. You are correct however in the similarities of our two cities.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
One thing is for sure, you get a lot more House in Houston for a lot less than Calgary.
Yes, this is so true. In fact the number one reason we would like to relocate to Houston is housing cost and cost of living. The second is of course the weather. Houston has so many wonderful things to offer it really is an amazing city. Calgary is a great city as well but I was born and raised here and personally I'm done with the winters. I want hot and more facilities for our children to enjoy, plus my wife loves to shop so it works out perfectly

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
They do hire experienced hires off the street.
They also hire contractors.
Not many off the street though. Contractors - yes they hire a lot of them. Have a neighbor who works there. He says the vast majority are being pulled from the universities now - with contractors filling in some gaps but even the contractors' pay is being cut compared to last year.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick&Sam View Post
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for over a year now and thought I'd finally join as a member so I could ask a few questions. My wife and I wanted to relocate from Calgary AB to Houston for over 2 years now. I work in the oil and gas industry as a Piping Designer. The issue we're facing now of course is that the job market has dried up in the oil and gas industry. Is there anyone on the forum who could offer insight into how the oil and gas industry is holding up in Houston? Of course I'm not looking for any specific names but if anyone knows of an Engineering company that might be hiring I would appreciate any information.

Really enjoy the information provide on this forum,
Thank you,
Nick
once you are in Houston, you will find a job as a Piping Designer.
-depending on what applications you use; PDMS, CAD,...etc

check out Society of Piping Engineers and Designers (this may help)

most likely your first job will be a contract position.
places such as...Haliburton, TechNip, Marathon, Amec-Paragon,...etc have openings all the time.
your assignment may be elsewhere...Louisiana...Gulf of Mexico!

But as a Piping Designer with experience you will find an income over here.

Best of luck.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
True. I think Exxon does hire experienced Engineers and Geologists from other oil companies too. They have so many people who have been at the company for 20 yrs or so. For their IT group, you can get in after being a contractor, but very rare. You have to know someone and they have to really pull for you to get in. As one female employee said to me, "it isn't just who you know, but who you blow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston