Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

Lack of decent public transportation! Are they going to do anything about it? Everytime I fly into Bush International, it is always so frustrating, I mean, Houston should have a very decent subway system since it is the fourth largest city in the USA. Chicago has a great system, so does NY, even here in Minneapolis, I can jump on the light rail from the airport and be downtown in less than 20 minutes! Even in Dallas, although DART is not perfect, I was able to get all over town and even over to Ft Worth without a car. Houston needs to do something about it!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Yes... you and everyone else in town thinks we need to do something yet, for some reason they keep electing Culberson!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM

228 posts, read 1,001,101 times
Houston is SOOO spread out..that and its hard to keep people from crossing in front of it!! But it sure would be nice for people like me that gets freaked out to drive to the other side of town...guess I could always take the bus, but would love a light rail!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
You can thank those that think mass transit brings crime.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
I have lived here forever and have been fine with just driving a car. Don't people without cars here just ride the Metro bus or the light rail around the med center?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

102 posts, read 326,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Lack of decent public transportation! Are they going to do anything about it? Everytime I fly into Bush International, it is always so frustrating, I mean, Houston should have a very decent subway system since it is the fourth largest city in the USA. Chicago has a great system, so does NY, even here in Minneapolis, I can jump on the light rail from the airport and be downtown in less than 20 minutes! Even in Dallas, although DART is not perfect, I was able to get all over town and even over to Ft Worth without a car. Houston needs to do something about it!
All it takes is $$$$$$$. Lots of it. And no, you really don't want a subway system here.... unless you're going to run submarines through it.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
All it takes is $$$$$$$. Lots of it. And no, you really don't want a subway system here.... unless you're going to run submarines through it.

LOL. This is true.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM

101 posts, read 226,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
They have express buses run by Metro Airport Direct go from Terminal 3 @Bush International to downtown every 30 minutes, it only costs $15 dollars each way, and it only takes 30 minutes. Any hotels in the downtown area is only $6 cab ride away from the bus terminal in downtown. Most of the time there is only one or two passengers on the huge, clean and air conditioned bus, and you don't have to deal with those annoying cab drivers.
METRO Airport Direct

I don't think Houston will ever have an extensive subway system (realized that even after living here for 6 month), the light rail is handy, never really catch a bus so far.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM

50 posts, read 203,457 times
Default The Metro Trains are Coming ... eventually

Yes, Houston is woefully behind the times in developing mass transit. (Thanks, tom delay and other republicans.) But Metro broke ground a year ago on a train running down Harrisburg and a couple of other routes; I forget what ones. So Metro Trains are coming. Just be patient!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
The IAH service is pretty new, which is why a lot of people haven't heard of it.

This whole issue has been pretty beat to death. People are riding the rail that we have and there will be expansion. It's not going to happen all at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston