Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 36,086 times

Advertisements

I found in this forum there are many posting said the Telfair is a very good place to buy a house.

But I knew the sugar land regional airport is nearby and the house price in Telfair is relatively high. How do you think about this? Is it worth to spend a large amount of money to live in a place surrounding by planes?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
The airport is a small private plane air port. You are not going to have 747s flying in ever.
Doubt you'll ever really notice them.

Is it worth spending alot of money in telfair? Depends who you ask, obviously homes are selling and people are voting with their pocket books.

Personally, I'd never buy a house in the suburbs commuting is the bane of my existence. I hate it. Smaller homes inside the city that's for me.
My 2 cents on that.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
I drive through Telfair every day on the way to work. It is a nice community. I don't think the airport is an issue and obviously lots of other people don't, either.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 PM

232 posts, read 701,051 times
I live in Telfair. I hardly ever notice it. The city of sugar land and the airports have an understanding and try not to have flights scheduled after 9pm or before 5am. As the houses keep getting built on the North side of New Territory, I hear even less of the train noise too. But that maybe because building codes now require double pane windows and higher amounts of insulation.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM

14 posts, read 53,974 times
It really depends on the section you are buying in. You will not even notice the planes and trains a few months after living in Telfair, that is if you don't live right under the flight path or next to the tracks :-).

It takes me about 35 minutes to get from Telfair to the Reliant Staidum area so it's not that bad of a commute. I take 59 to 90 to 610.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 19,071 times
If you are considering buying a house in the Telfair area, stop by the Sugar Land Airport during the week to learn about the business they do. They are friendly and happy to educate. I went in asking questions so the lady at the desk referred me to the Administration office. They let me speak to the director and he was happy to answer my questions. I felt better knowing they try to be a good neighbor...

Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgrLndMom View Post
If you are considering buying a house in the Telfair area, stop by the Sugar Land Airport during the week to learn about the business they do. They are friendly and happy to educate. I went in asking questions so the lady at the desk referred me to the Administration office. They let me speak to the director and he was happy to answer my questions. I felt better knowing they try to be a good neighbor...
Their annual Open House is also very fun for families...my son loved watching a helicopter take off.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM

8 posts, read 31,176 times
well, during the weekends, when you will be at yard, you will notice many small planes.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
I no longer live in Sugar Land, but I grew up there (Clements HS c/o '02!!) so I can provide some input.

As others have stated the airport is a general aviation airport. Briefly there was commercial service there through a small commuter airline called Conquest Airlines Conquest Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, that mainly serviced other mid-sized Texas cities. This was in the mid-90's. The terminal was a small temporary building with 2 gates. This shows that they have at least experimented with commercial service.

There are (at least in the past) occasionally proposals to bring about commercial service to SGR but for one reason or another they have been shot down. Also, the park at the north end of the airport is owned by the City of Houston to block airport expansion. Houston is worried that when/if Sugar Land Regional has its own strong commercial service, it could put a dent on its own airports.

In sum, it may be a quiet airport now, but things could change, and I know the city has tried on several occasions to bring scheduled air service there. If you want to live in Sugar Land, I would recommend First Colony, particularly the area zoned to Clements HS -- it's one of the best high schools in the state. I don't care for Sugar Land as a whole, but I'm extremely proud I went there. Also, that area is further away from the airport. (That's primarily the number 1 reason why my family moved there from SW Houston in 1993)

(I know SL better than 95% of the people on this forum)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 01-22-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
There are (at least in the past) occasionally proposals to bring about commercial service to SGR but for one reason or another they have been shot down. Also, the park at the north end of the airport is owned by the City of Houston to block airport expansion. Houston is worried that when/if Sugar Land Regional has its own strong commercial service, it could put a dent on its own airports.
The only way SGR will become Dr. John & Virginia Hull International Airport is if Southern Houstonians are tired of driving to Bush Airport for international flights. (Think Ontario Airport--owned by the Los Angeles World Airports--or Oakland and San Jose Airports.) It wouldn't be a big deal to use the nice airport if I lived in Cypress or Klein but from Katy or Sugar Land is a big hassle of the tollway. I could see a demand of a closer--but not too close--airport to accommodate the booming Westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston