Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM

99 posts, read 367,687 times

Advertisements

Houston drivers are actually pretty good, comparatively, they just drive too fast on city streets, which is harder to do in a lot of other cities because they're more congested and not as straight as our streets. Otherwise I don't think Houston drivers are any worse than anywhere else - driving has gotten worse everywhere because states have made it much easier for people to get licenses and there are just more drivers on the roads than there used to be.

But if we're going to get into pet peeves, something that has been bothering me a lot lately is the misuse of dual right turn lanes. There is no intersection in town where drivers can legally (or safely for that matter) turn right on red from a middle lane, even if that lane is designated for turns when the light is green. The ONLY place where a right turn is allowed on red is from the right lane itself into the right lane on the cross street. I see people make these turns all the time and it drives me batty just how 1.) rude it is and 2.) unsafe it is considering you are turning into the path of TWO different lanes of traffic that have the right of way in front of you.

Nonetheless, most people seem to think that if you're allowed to turn right from a middle lane, then you can automatically do that on red, too. It's ignorant and it's rude and dangerous.

Places where I have seen this:

I-10 WB access onto NB Washington Ave
WB Allen Parkway onto NB Waugh
NB Dairy Ashford onto EB I-10 access (especially unsafe considering how fast the cross traffic is there)

I'm sure there's more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Default Skills

I am proud of the driving skills that I aquired while driving all over Houston which started when I turned 15 and continued into my 40's.
I am a very skilled driver due to the "training" I received while driving in Houston all those years! Believe me it comes in handy here in Dallas where if you can believe it they drive worse! They seem to be in a bigger hurry to get some where fast!

Excellent driving skills are a good thing to have. If you don't have them and can't learn them then please move aside and let us by

Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Oh don't get me started on this subject!!

I want the DEATH PENALTY for drivers who are doing 80 on the highway and one hand is on a cellphone!!!!!!!!!! And I'm not so sure I'm kidding.
And of course we've all heard about drivers who are trying to TEXT now too....

Agree that "tailgating at 80" and the constant lane changing within an inch to spare of _your bumper are what make me freakin' nuts about Houston highways. I HATE them. HATEHATEHATE. HATE.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
My favorte is the left lane drivers doing 10 to 20 under the posted MPH. What is going through their mind when people are wizzing by them? Why dont the pigs give them tickets? Going 20 under the average speed of everyone else is far far more dangerous then going 7 over the posted limits.

In every state except Nevada the law says to keep right and pass left. Keeping right does not mean keep middle either. Sometimes I travel for a dozen exits and never leave the right lane yet I pass everyone on the road without speeding. Why?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM

60 posts, read 271,190 times
Kudos to Malvie ... that about sums it up.

I have long contended that a barrage of PSA's (Public Service Announcements) over every TV station is necessary. Such info might serve to somewhat educate the increasing number of bozos on the road that were driving a *** last week and haven't quite grasped the intricacies of modern machinery.

Let's also not forget the subset of the population that enters a freeway at 45mph and swiftly moves across 4 lanes into the left. Too much lead in their diets. Of course, acting like that, they are likely to receive some additional lead supplements.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
I get the impression that many drivers in this city think driving recklessly and under the influence is somehow "cute". Many also have a really tough time leaving their egos at the door.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Agreed on both counts!
Every major city has it's large number of idiot drivers. Each time, I think, these have got to be the worse, until we get to the next city.
I actually don't think Houston is that bad! Not comparatively!
But doesn't Harris County lead the nation in DUI's?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
But doesn't Harris County lead the nation in DUI's?
I remember hearing that too.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmather0 View Post
Houston drivers are actually pretty good, comparatively, they just drive too fast on city streets, which is harder to do in a lot of other cities because they're more congested and not as straight as our streets. Otherwise I don't think Houston drivers are any worse than anywhere else - driving has gotten worse everywhere because states have made it much easier for people to get licenses and there are just more drivers on the roads than there used to be.

But if we're going to get into pet peeves, something that has been bothering me a lot lately is the misuse of dual right turn lanes. There is no intersection in town where drivers can legally (or safely for that matter) turn right on red from a middle lane, even if that lane is designated for turns when the light is green. The ONLY place where a right turn is allowed on red is from the right lane itself into the right lane on the cross street. I see people make these turns all the time and it drives me batty just how 1.) rude it is and 2.) unsafe it is considering you are turning into the path of TWO different lanes of traffic that have the right of way in front of you.

Nonetheless, most people seem to think that if you're allowed to turn right from a middle lane, then you can automatically do that on red, too. It's ignorant and it's rude and dangerous.

Places where I have seen this:

I-10 WB access onto NB Washington Ave
WB Allen Parkway onto NB Waugh
NB Dairy Ashford onto EB I-10 access (especially unsafe considering how fast the cross traffic is there)

I'm sure there's more.
A particularly bad spot is the exit from Spur 527 to Richmond in midtown. Folks without a thought would do a right on red onto Richmond straight from the exit, completely disregarding the fact that another side street parallels them to the right. I once tried to make a right on red from this side street onto Richmond and almost got hit by a van to my left trying to do the same. Even had the nerve to honk at me, even though he ended up in MY LANE when he completed the turn.

Sometimes I wish I had spikes.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My favorte is the left lane drivers doing 10 to 20 under the posted MPH. What is going through their mind when people are wizzing by them? Why dont the pigs give them tickets? Going 20 under the average speed of everyone else is far far more dangerous then going 7 over the posted limits.
But the problem is that in this city I could be doing well above the limit in the left lane and still manage to get run down. Or I could be in the right lane and still have some knucklehead whizzing pass me at 80 mph. It's a no-win for drivers who actually decide to drive safely here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston