Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM

89 posts, read 143,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
NO I'm not. It's said to see how many white folks in Houston have this hatred towards people they perceive as illegals, as though they all have crystal balls and can tell. Most of them don't live in these communities anyway, but are sooooo concerned for it's citizens. Cynical and sounds like being a hypocrit too.
I read some of your previous posts. " They teach white in American in schools", "white people look down on people of color".
That's why I will give you a break.

You have not been living here your entire life ( it seems). How would you know anyway. Sorry, but maybe you should calm down and take a closer look at things before you judge.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 PM

134 posts, read 231,456 times
The ones that seem to judge on here are folks who scapegoat a group of people for ills they perceive in the community. The one that needs to take a closer look is you perhaps. Just a thought. Good night. And don't misquote me buddy...I'll appreciate it.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM

89 posts, read 143,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
The ones that seem to judge on here are folks who scapegoat a group of people for ills they perceive in the community. The one that needs to take a closer look is you perhaps. Just a thought. Good night. And don't misquote me buddy...I'll appreciate it.

Feel free to look at your own posts. If you don't know how to do it, there are people here who can help you with this. Good night.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM

134 posts, read 231,456 times
[quote=Keks;9950072]Feel free to look at your own posts. If you don't know how to do it, there are people here who can help you with this.[/quote
LOL! Good night!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
That's why I will give you a break.
Even despite some dubious claims, I tend to think I'd rather have illegal immigrants from Mexico than Katrina refugees for neighbors. While both drain government resources, at least the illegal immigrants are working for the most part instead of just collecting checks and having their rent paid.

Quote:
I can not provide you with a source, but I did read that Houston (proper) has about 400 000 illegal immigrants ( that'swhat the U.S gov't estimates). You do the math....
As opposed to where else? That was my question. I'm fully aware there are hundreds of thousands of illegals here. But are are less than that in LA or NYC? Or Dallas? Miami? If I've got to choose I'll take a working Mexican immigrant over a Cuban who's been given refugee status are are living quite well on the public dime. NYC has been illegal immigration central for its entire history.

Who brought up illegals being part of why we have a supposed appearance problem? That's the link I follow from this to the actual topic here. So it's because they have no pride in Houston? Probably not, but it seems a lot of the people who move here from anywhere don't have much pride in Houston. I see a great deal of them trying to live as far from the inner city as they can, which is their choice and all, but that choice furthers sprawl, freeways wide enough to be runways for 747s, freeway clutter etc. Which I'm guessing is a big part of why Houston is commonly held to be ugly compared to other cities.

I sometimes wondered about people who want to take parts of other cities gussied up for tourists (e.g. the Vegas Strip, French Quarter, Times Square) and then compare it to an entire city. I don't know what we can do to make our somewhat urbanized patch of Texas coastal prairie look more appealing to everyone. You can't zone terrain. This is real life, not SimCity.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One reason Houston roads seem so poor is that they sit on very soft soil. Notice that most roads in Houston are concrete instead of asphalt? That's because asphalt is somewhat flexible and if used in Houston the roads would rut almost immediately after construction. So they use concrete - which is stiff. The roads are built in sections.

But the soft ground shifts, and the concrete sections move too. Hence the roads that pitch up and down so much.

Oh and the person who didn't realize who the airport was named after - shame on you.
They are all part of the same crime family of criminals

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
Whoever says that L.A " looks good" has NEVER been to L.A. The city has become a dump.
I was just out in LA a few weeks ago for the first time & can agree with this statement 100%. It certainly didn't meet my expectations & neither did Long Beach for that matter. Most of the area was surprisingly flat as opposed to what you see on TV & in the movies. The people who live in those hill/mountain side homes must be extremely wealthy though.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
As opposed to where else? That was my question. I'm fully aware there are hundreds of thousands of illegals here. But are are less than that in LA or NYC? Or Dallas? Miami? If I've got to choose I'll take a working Mexican immigrant over a Cuban who's been given refugee status are are living quite well on the public dime. NYC has been illegal immigration central for its entire history.
The thing is though, if you want to LIVE in those places, you BETTER be busting your ass for rent! (I have experience on this one.) It's a combination of sentimental attachment and cost. And compared to those places, Houston is dirt cheap. I would think the more attached you are to a place, the more you'd probably be willing to spend to live there and vice versa. While NYC has been illegal immigration central, the immigration there has historically been much more international and makes any one specific group less targetable. (I think that benefits everyone.) Whether it's warranted or not, Texas is amidst a culture war. IMO, in NYC, while each nationality/ethnic group has it's own enclave, there are so many unique cultures, no one group can assert its dominance over the others.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-25-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
The thing is though, if you want to LIVE in those places, you BETTER be busting your ass for rent! (I have experience on this one.) It's a combination of sentimental attachment and cost. And compared to those places, Houston is dirt cheap. The more attached you are to a place, the more you'd probably be willing to spend to live there and vice versa. While NYC has been illegal immigration central, the immigration there has historically been much more international and makes any one specific group less targetable.
True. Houston is cheap compared to those cities. I'd think illegals would stick to the cheap than go straight for LA or NYC.

Btw, I never said illegal immigrants were responsible for whats been done to Houston.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,868 times
Even Dallas has a better way of hiding it? Last I checked, we're free to drive anywhere in the city we please as are our visitors. We have our ugly parts of the city too...every place does. Y'all are like A&M former students to UT exes when it comes to Houston versus Dallas. I'd never put an upside down A&M sticker on my car a la the downward horns sticker a) because it's stupid and b) because why would you want to draw attention to another school. Isn't it enough to be proud of your own institution? Or in this case, your own city? It's not uncommon to hear people from Houston dissing Dallas. Newsflash: Houston doesn't come up in daily or even monthly conversation in my circles. I go there for work sometimes and it's fine. I don't feel the need to insult a city because it isn't where I live.

I've been to the other cities listed too except Tokyo. I think LA is the worst except they have fewer billboards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston