Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 37,593 times

Advertisements

I suppose I could look on some Texas or Houston govt website, but I figured this would be easier.

I'm from Chicago, moving to Houston in a few months. In IL there's a public smoking ban in bars/restaurants/etc.

So is there a smoking ban down there?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Yes.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
Yep! You must also be at least 50 ft from the entrance of a building before lighting up in public as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Yes...Its one of the best things that happened IMHO. Lived in Chicago when it happened there too...It was nice to go out and not smell like an ashtray when you got home. Also no stinky clothes the next morning.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM

809 posts, read 3,570,516 times
I believe it's only in the city limits of Houston. I've gone to some places that are in Houston but outside the city limits that still allow smoking. I wish it would be banned everywhere.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM

16 posts, read 37,593 times
Awesome...very good to hear!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPodz View Post
Awesome...very good to hear!
I disagree, but then I'm totally opposed to the whole concept of a nanny state.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM

226 posts, read 894,073 times
Default Government We Need yOu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I disagree, but then I'm totally opposed to the whole concept of a nanny state.
I wish there were more people that thought like you TexasTheKid.

I don't smoke and quit about five years ago but I agree with you. I am a let the free market decide kind of person.

If the non-smoking patrons are fed up with it and want the bar owner or restaurant owner to stop allowing other patrons to smoke in their establishments then why do we need a law? The proprietor can stop the smoking in his place or let him figure out how he can make both smoker and non smoker happy. [Ventilated smoke rooms, patios, etc.]

If the the establishment owner told the non smokers NO, then there would be non smoking bars and restaurants pop up to fill the void. A perfect free market solution.

I think that we forget that we can do things on our own without the stupid nanny government getting involved. Government is not reason it's force.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,521,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
I wish there were more people that thought like you TexasTheKid.

I don't smoke and quit about five years ago but I agree with you. I am a let the free market decide kind of person.

If the non-smoking patrons are fed up with it and want the bar owner or restaurant owner to stop allowing other patrons to smoke in their establishments then why do we need a law? The proprietor can stop the smoking in his place or let him figure out how he can make both smoker and non smoker happy. [Ventilated smoke rooms, patios, etc.]

If the the establishment owner told the non smokers NO, then there would be non smoking bars and restaurants pop up to fill the void. A perfect free market solution.

I think that we forget that we can do things on our own without the stupid nanny government getting involved. Government is not reason it's force.
Owners of restaurants never take sides when it comes to patrons. In this economy and even before, they can't afford to take one side over the other so they just let things ride. We need "smoking" laws because people who smoke don't care about those of us who don't smoke. Some how they justify the right to ruin their own health AND others around them.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM

226 posts, read 894,073 times
Default Agree to Disagree Whatdya say

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
Owners of restaurants never take sides when it comes to patrons. In this economy and even before, they can't afford to take one side over the other so they just let things ride. We need "smoking" laws because people who smoke don't care about those of us who don't smoke. Some how they justify the right to ruin their own health AND others around them.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Government shouldn't tell owners how to run their businesses. If you hate cigarrettes stay out of the restaurant and if enough people stop going there the owner will have to compromise. Especially in this economy!

Whats next, "Stop smoking in your front yard it offends me and gives me cancer?" The government doesn't need to come referree every detail. If you allow that they will get bigger have more power and demand more money and liberty from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston