Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM

332 posts, read 1,323,826 times

Advertisements

The Cruise Critic web site already mentioned here is an excellent resource. The discussion forum there is a very active one, and there are separate sections for each cruise line as well as for Gulf Coast ports such as Galveston.

You will see this question about tipping discussed there frequently. Cruise lines differ from one to the other on gratuities and whether these are charged automatically, but in all cases you have the opportunity to remove these and offer your thanks with tips offered directly to your room attendant, dining wait staff and others. Whatever you do, don't shaft those who made your vacation a wonderful experience by not tipping them anything or an insultingly amount. They depend on tips for most of their income and 99% of them really work hard to make your vacation enjoyable.

Note that most if not all cruise lines DO add a mandatory gratuity (usually 15%) to all beverage purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
reading the word gratuity in this thread reminds me of the line in the movie Princess Bride... "You keep using that word. i don't think it means what you think it means."

Merriam Webster definition of gratuity: : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip.

So mandatory gratuity is kind of a stupid concept.

Instead of sell me a $7 drink and add 15%, how about you just sell it to me for $8.00 and not bother me with the fact that you gave the dollar to the bartender. Why is it that only in service industry we have this forced artificial transaction where consumer gives a "gratuity" for services? it's time to put that concept to bed.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,169 times
We used Carnival about two years ago for our honeymoon. My wife loved it, at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
First, I think it is classless to charge a mandatory gratuity. On the flip side, some people are just too cheap and take service for granted, so I see the point.

My wife and I took a cruise a few years ago from Venice to Turkey, Greece and Croatia. There was an option for automatic gratuity, but as a guest, one had to agree to it. I suspect it was illegal to charge a mandatory gratuity in Europe, though the idea certainly was not new as many thought this was being done automatically, usually Americans. Still, mandatory gratuity is an oxymoron.

For what it is worth, we ended up tipping our room staff, bar and restaurant staff about $300. And we then opted to give $100 for the 'ship'. In the end, we paid more than the ship would have received had we opted for the full automatic payment. Plus, the tips went directly to the people who made our trip enjoyable. I'm sure some will argue that it is not fair to everyone on board the ship, and rightfully so, I mean there are people that are not seen that make the trip possible.

So, how legal is a mandatory gratuity, and is it mandatory in the US?
actually many places throughout the world, UK being one have a mandatory service charge, basically it is the same thing, only with a different name. Now, mandatory on ships, you can discuss the gratuity situation with the pursers office, if service is really bad and you have tried to correct the problems usually the tips can be removed. What you can not do is get them removed and then tip servers individually. They do have to report this and share. It hurts them more than helps them.

Nita

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
The gratuity can be adjusted if you so desire. They must charge the tip automatically because otherwise many cruise passengers wouldn't tip a penny. My sister and Brother in law adjusted their tips for their stay, way up in some cases where they requested special service like room cleaning and dining (she has very special dietary needs) and down in areas where they feel they got less than satisfactory service. I thought everyone did about what they were expected to do, so we never adjusted our gratuities.

I went on the carnival conquest and had a really good time, I also went on an alaskan cruise aboard the princess diamond, and I would say the two were very comparable in terms of the ship and the quality of service. There is lots of emphasis on the 'fun' with carnival.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Service fees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
reading the word gratuity in this thread reminds me of the line in the movie Princess Bride... "You keep using that word. i don't think it means what you think it means."

Merriam Webster definition of gratuity: : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip.

So mandatory gratuity is kind of a stupid concept.

Instead of sell me a $7 drink and add 15%, how about you just sell it to me for $8.00 and not bother me with the fact that you gave the dollar to the bartender. Why is it that only in service industry we have this forced artificial transaction where consumer gives a "gratuity" for services? it's time to put that concept to bed.
This is what they have in Europe (my wife is from Spain); they love Americans because they tip all the time. All restaurants have the service fee, sort of a forced gratuity, but you at least know about it up front, and the percentage it will be. Times are changing though, more and more Europeans are now leaving good tips, not just coins.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default BTW, cost...

Not to deviate too much from this thread... when my wife and I were planning our honeymoon, we first found our cruise online, and the cost for our suite/cabin and our itinerary was about $2700.00 per person. My wife decided to call an agent in her hometown of Barcelona... she gave her the dates, and cruise information, and guess what? We got the same exact cruise, and suite for only $1300.00 per person! The exact same cruise.

I've heard of needing to make a profit, but come on, that is a huge mark up only because one books it in the US. I'm not accusing all agents of doing this, but we shopped around the US sites, and that was the best we found. We did not bother calling anyone else in Spain once we got the price we liked.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:11 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I've only gone on Royal Carribean - sort of middle of the road, I guess. Not upscale but not low-budget. However, had family member in his mid-20's go on Carnival Ecstacy out of Galveston for honeymoon and he said it was okay but there were too many loud and very drunk people all over the place. Surprised to hear that from a young guy but to each his own.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I've only gone on Royal Carribean - sort of middle of the road, I guess. Not upscale but not low-budget. However, had family member in his mid-20's go on Carnival Ecstacy out of Galveston for honeymoon and he said it was okay but there were too many loud and very drunk people all over the place. Surprised to hear that from a young guy but to each his own.
Carnival Ecstasy does shorter (4 and 5 day) cruises only, and with any cruiseline on cruises less than 7 days you'll tend to get a lot more new cruisers, spring-breaker types, weekend getaway people on the short cruises. Carnival Conquest does only 7 day cruises so you will find it isn't so much a "party" atmosphere and a lot more relaxing since people aren't trying to cram their vacation into a long weekend.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Had clients that did the Ecstacy for their honeymoon last year, they had both cruised before and said they wouldn't return to Carnival, but others i know love the line. Each line has something good and something not so good.
And yes, the shorter cruises do attract a totally different crowd as a rule.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston