Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,507 times

Advertisements

Which stores are the best places to get affortable furnitures, such as matresses, couch, dinning tables, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Try the Dump 45 N & Beltway

Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,616 times
Ashley's

Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Ashley's
I second Ashley's.
We got our living room set and dining table/chairs from there.
Remember, you can ALWAYS negotiate price at most furniture stores.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM

21 posts, read 59,038 times
Check out Craigslist! I would never ... NEVER ... get a used mattress, but it could be a really good resource for a cheap kitchen table, coffee tables, lamps, decor etc. Other places that you wouldn't expect to have tables are Garden Ridge (50% off right now!). Can you tell I was recently in the market for a table?

For couches and mattresses, check out some of those small furniture stores you see instead of the big names. They'll have tons and tons of catalogues for you to browse - most furniture stores all order their stuff from the same manufacturers - so you can generally get them to order whatever you want and pay very little over the actual cost of the item.

We ended up buying our couch from the RoomStore. It wasn't the cheapest option, but they had good financing options, so we went for it!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 AM

809 posts, read 3,570,516 times
Bel Furniture (on 45 N, I think near Rakin)
Cort Furniture (on FM 1960)
Star Furniture Outlet (on 45 N)
Ikea

For a mattress, places like Matress Giant have a clearance section.

There should be a lot of Labor Day weekend sales going on at just about every furniture and mattress store in town.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Hoffer Furniture, Westpark & Hillcroft. I know the owners, they are good people. I've been buying from them for years. Being a small, family-owned store, they are much more willing to wheal & deal than some of the bigger places.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,981 times
I second some of the choices already mentioned and maybe a few more.

Estate Sales are always a good place to pick up things on the cheap, often times good quality stuff. Along this same line I would also check out the Blue Bird resale shop on Alabama and the Guild shop also in Montrose. There is also a consignment shop on 1960 between TC Jester and Kuykendahl, right around Terrace Oaks Dr & 1960. They usually have a great selection of sideboards, dining tables, armoires, etc. All of these places are great if you don't want the usual cheap looking stuff.

The other is the rental return places that some of the others have already mentioned. I picked up some pieces I used for staging on the cheap there. Hoffer, Cort (their biggest clearance center is on Kempwood) and Aaron rents.

Ikea is always an option of course.

If you want new there is always the usual suspects that have been mentioned, Roomstore, Bel, Gallery furniture, Rooms to Go, Sussan on the Gulf Frwy.

I picked up a dining set for a staging a while back at Cort. It had some wear but I paid precious little for it. I also got a fake Barcelona set from Aaron's for around $400 for the whole set & threw in a couple of $14 Ikea tables.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,977 times
Here's my public service announcement for the day: For those always on the prowl on Craigslist for vintage or other finds, try a little app called "Hey Craig" (google it). You can enter in key words (such as "Z Gallerie," "Ethan Allen," "West Elm,"etc.) and what city you are looking in, and it will email you when those keywords are found. It works like 90% of the time, and saves me from having to check the site multiple times a day (I'm a freak that way). You have to be smart with your words (e.g., I use "crate" for Crate & Barrel because people misspell barrel so much), but it's a fantastic way to keep on top of your searches!

There are also programs that allow you to easily search multiple cities for that perfect piece, but I won't go into them here.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,454 times
I second Bel's furniture, we've gotten a lot of reasonably priced stuff there. Roomstore is not bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston