Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 19,198 times

Advertisements

Hello Members:

My family have just moved in Houston and we need to buy major furnitures (e.g. king size bed including mattress, dresser and mirror, formal dinning table with 6 chairs, leather sofa and chair, etc.) as soon as possible.

My wife likes antique style furnitures, and we have glanced at some furnitures in Star Furniture store and got a quotation on some stuffs and I think the prices for those are slightly higher than my budget (5k). My friend recommend me to go Ethan Allen but it seems a quite expensive.

Anybody can recommend some other furniture stores?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Did you try the Star Furniture outlet on I-45?

Also check out:

Gallery Furniture
The DUMP
Finger Furniture
Louis Shanks
Crate & Barrel
Pottery Barn
Restoration Hardware
Pier 1
Bombay Co.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM

64 posts, read 413,413 times
I bought some at The Roomstore, and was real happy with it.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
I would say Ikea but that's maybe more modern than you are looking for. Ikea is mostly modern international style but they do have some more antique and rustic pine type of pieces. And they do have inexpensive leather sofas.

You might want to go to ikea.com and check out there selection though, as their entire product line can be seen and priced online and you can download their entire catalog. You might find some stuff you like. Ikea is probably provides the best value and quality in inexpensive furniture as long as you understand you aren't getting heirloom pieces.

Sam's Club and Costco also sell a lot of furniture these days. I've seen some nice leather sofas at both those places.

places like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardward, Bombay Co, mentioned above have nice stuff, but you will blow WAY WAY past your budget if you attempt to furnish a house at those stores.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
i think BEL furniture is still on memorial day sale. so far i've only bought furnitures from Fingers (free delivery awhile ago too since they are moving warehouses) and craigslist
I live in a new neighborhood and everyone is just moving in. I noticed all their delivery trucks are coming from Fondren area- where smaller furniture stores are concentrated

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 80,861 times
Default How about Gallery Furniture?

We've bought from several stores, large and small, and have been the most satisfied with Gallery Furniture. They have really great furniture at competitive prices, and their customer service has been excellent.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
You can get some exceptional pieces at estate sales. There are a couple of exceptional resale shops, they are very hit & miss, but they can carry some very high end stuff for a song if your timing & luck is right.

Check out the Blue Bird on Alabama and the Guild shop, which I think is on Woodhead maybe.

For new stuff also check out Chic Warehouse, I think it is on Yale. Brandon's has a fair selection of traditional type stuff as well. Their prices were usually pretty good. A lot of people go to Gallery. The same day delivery is a big draw there.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,214 times
You might like to check out Kuehnert's Auction Gallery. They hold an auction every Thursday night. They have some really great antiques and if you are careful, you can get some great pieces for really good prices. They allow you to preview the furniture before the auction so you can get a good look at the items and take measurements. You can check out items on their website but be aware that it's hard to tell about items from the web pictures. Some items look better when you see them in person and some look worse. It's really a lot of fun.

Kuehnert's Auction Gallery, Inc.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 94,736 times
Default Do you mind used?

If you are looking for a bargain, but used, there is a placed called SW Surplus. It's at 630 W. 17th St, Houston, TX 77008.

They have a lot of good quality stuff that they get from high class hotels. So something that you would normally pay $10K for new at a high quality store would only cost you $500. Most of the stuff is still in excellent quality. It's worth checking out.

Otherwise I'd go with the Dump, Ikea (next month they have their twice a year sale), the Room Store, or some other decent places.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,088 times
I heard Ashley Furniture (a lot of furniture shops here in Houston sells the Ashley brand) is coming, and saw a billboard about it, but I don't know where its going to be located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston