Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times

Advertisements

My house is a completelly open design, where the rooms flow into one another as opposed to actual doorways to enter the rooms. It gives a spacious and airy feeling. Walking into the front door is all open.....a choice of 2 good size closets near by for coats, shoes, purses etc. I love the openness of it all....Don't think I could ever go back to the more traditional styles.
In looking at homes 6 yrs ago, when we built this one, I don't ever remember a new home with the enclosed foyers.
By the way...my open entrance foyer is very formal and I don't believe diminishes the value in anyway. If anything, it adds to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,187 times
Ours is also like No. 2. It's new. After living in the UK for 3 or so years, where open concept doesn't exist, our hallway seems normal. It's not cramped at all. There is the kitchen coming off one side, and then french doors to a study off the other. The hallway ends at the entrance to the living room.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
Default What she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My house is a completelly open design, where the rooms flow into one another as opposed to actual doorways to enter the rooms. It gives a spacious and airy feeling. Walking into the front door is all open.....a choice of 2 good size closets near by for coats, shoes, purses etc. I love the openness of it all....Don't think I could ever go back to the more traditional styles.
In looking at homes 6 yrs ago, when we built this one, I don't ever remember a new home with the enclosed foyers.
By the way...my open entrance foyer is very formal and I don't believe diminishes the value in anyway. If anything, it adds to it.
Ditto that. My foyer is completely open, yet totally formal, with plenty of room to put my stuff down, closets, etc. I hate the closed in feeling of a center hall colonial.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Neither would diminish the value of any home. It is all a matter of what ya like and don't like. We have had both and I am either way. Open tends to leave you with more of a WoW factor. Our first house had a coat closet but the next did not. At first I thought it would bother me but we never entered the house from the front always the back. The first house we always used the front door. Our house now has open but its own little area. We have a coat closet and a place for a bench or table or what ever. Right now we use the front door till we can clear out the garage from moving. We may still use it even after then out of habit.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I like the photo in the middle. I like the large open ones ... the enclosed ones give me a claustrophic feel (and I am not claustrophobic)

Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM

482 posts, read 875,006 times
One thing to think about is when it's and open foyer to both floors...it's typically pretty expensive for a/c. Another thing is that most have that window above the door on the 2nd floor which heat it up even more. If you buy a house like that try to make sure it's not west facing!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
I like the look of the big open entry---but that's all I like about it. (BTW: who needs a coat closet in Houston?).

From a practical standpoint:

1. You are air conditioning a lot of useless space (note: in Houston, it's all about air conditioning; heat doesn't matter enough to worry about). My nephew and his wife have this big open atrium thing---and their a/c bill is over $800 a month. Mine is $250 (I have the older, traditional style).

2. They just got a big-screen TV in the den---and discovered that the huge pseudo-Palladian window in their entry was putting so much light into the room that they couldn't see it. They had to have a special shade made for it (theirs is electric...) to keep the light down when they want to watch TV.

3. It's just wasted space. It's not really usable.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:07 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
I like the look of the big open entry---but that's all I like about it. (BTW: who needs a coat closet in Houston?).

1. You are air conditioning a lot of useless space (note: in Houston, it's all about air conditioning; heat doesn't matter enough to worry about). My nephew and his wife have this big open atrium thing---and their a/c bill is over $800 a month. Mine is $250 (I have the older, traditional style).

2. They just got a big-screen TV in the den---and discovered that the huge pseudo-Palladian window in their entry was putting so much light into the room that they couldn't see it. They had to have a special shade made for it (theirs is electric...) to keep the light down when they want to watch TV.

Thats not always necessarily true. Ours is open concept, over 3k sq ft and our light bill was 205 last month. While we have friends in homes half our size and they always pay more. Electricity costs come down to insulation and a/c efficiancy.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:

Something is terribly wrong then. My home is 5000+ and I have the open concept design with 20ft ceilings...and my bill is no where near $800 a month!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Quote:

It is all about the efficiency of the home as somebody else stated. We just moved from a 2300 sq ft house that had mostly 14 ft ceilings in the common areas and then 12-10 ft ceilings everywhere else. We keep our AC at 73 all day long and our house took a beating with the sun during the day. Home faced West. AC bill monthly was around $240. Our new home is approx 3800 sq ft with a two story entry and window above. Upstairs kept at 75 downstairs 73. We were worried abt our AC monthly bill is only $40 more than our last 2300 sq ft home. We have Tech Shield and major insulation happening in this home. So it goes back to quality of the builder and age of the home. Most quality builders automatically add Tech Shield barrier now unlike 8 yrs ago when it was considered an upgrade. It is all abt being energy efficient for them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston