Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 AM

48 posts, read 115,131 times

Advertisements

How do I go about finding an entry level electronics or Electrical engineering job in houston ( although my experience is with electronics )..

I graduated with a degree in electrical and computer engineering in 2006
and worked at a company in nw houston for a year as an entry level electronics engineer. Started as a testing assistant - moved up to production manager - and worked on all levels of engineering from research to troubleshooting, managing and even programming. I came to houston just over a year ago.

I was laid of 2 months ago and I been looking for jobs ever since.
Is there any companies hiring right now in houston ? Which area should I focus on more? I think there is a lot of companies in 77084 zip code. I am not sure. I live on beltway and westheimer.

I could change up my resume to make it sound more Electrical engineering, ( by adding some courses i took in college relating to "electrical" stuff ). I said that because I know there are a lot of oil business in houston and they might be looking for electrical engineers, but unfortunately my "experience" is with electronics.

I hear that there are a lot of engineering companies in houston.
But I don't know which ones? Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM

258 posts, read 954,294 times
Are you an electrical engineer or computer engineer? I wouldn't change my resume to "make it sound more electrical engineering" if I graduated with a bachelors in Computer Engineering.

The only issue I see is that most of the entry level jobs I have seen state something like "candidate will or has graduated within 12 months", so you may need to look for positions that seek experienced people such as yourself.

You could try Toshiba in 77041 zip code. HP in 77070 zip code. Reynolds Smith and Hills engineering in 77042

p.s: electronics is pretty vague

Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,512 times
you're not really "entry level" so much if you graduated in 2006. Sounds like you need a professional to look at your resume and tweak it to highlight your experience more. A degree in Electrical Engineering is highly sought after--is this an accredited degree? Have you taken the EIT?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
The question is, what school did you get your degree from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2009 View Post
How do I go about finding an entry level electronics or Electrical engineering job in houston ( although my experience is with electronics )..

I graduated with a degree in electrical and computer engineering in 2006
and worked at a company in nw houston for a year as an entry level electronics engineer. Started as a testing assistant - moved up to production manager - and worked on all levels of engineering from research to troubleshooting, managing and even programming. I came to houston just over a year ago.

I was laid of 2 months ago and I been looking for jobs ever since.
Is there any companies hiring right now in houston ? Which area should I focus on more? I think there is a lot of companies in 77084 zip code. I am not sure. I live on beltway and westheimer.

I could change up my resume to make it sound more Electrical engineering, ( by adding some courses i took in college relating to "electrical" stuff ). I said that because I know there are a lot of oil business in houston and they might be looking for electrical engineers, but unfortunately my "experience" is with electronics.

I hear that there are a lot of engineering companies in houston.
But I don't know which ones? Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:55 PM

70 posts, read 136,807 times
"I graduated with a degree in electrical and computer engineering in 2006
and worked at a company in nw houston for a year as an entry level electronics engineer.
"

"I came to houston just over a year ago."

If you came to Houston just over a year ago how is it that you worked in Houston for a year after you graduated three years ago in 2006?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 PM

235 posts, read 802,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
"I graduated with a degree in electrical and computer engineering in 2006
and worked at a company in nw houston for a year as an entry level electronics engineer.
"

"I came to houston just over a year ago."

If you came to Houston just over a year ago how is it that you worked in Houston for a year after you graduated three years ago in 2006?
He graduated and then worked (or not) somewhere for 1-2 years? And then came to Houston a little over a year ago? I don't see anything conflicting in the statements.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
He graduated and then worked (or not) somewhere for 1-2 years? And then came to Houston a little over a year ago? I don't see anything conflicting in the statements.
Thanks for your replies guys.

Yea I graduated in 2006. Then I worked at a Call center (couldn't find any engineering jobs ) .
After that i worked as an archival technician for 2-4 months and came to Houston.
This is when I got my first engineering job . It was a technician job . But thankfully I was able to grow within the company to become and Engineering Technician /Entry level electronics technician etc..[ i did a lot of things in that company - even a bit of programming , mostly production engineering/test technician/troubleshooting/Research etc ]
and yes I do have a degree from an ABET-accredited college - NYIT. it's not too great of a college. But it's not that bad either.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,512 times
Have you taken your EIT exam? And are you fluent with programs such as Pro E, Solidworks, etc. Do you have solid references built up (and does the company you were laid off from have good things to say--would they hire you back if business improved??)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM

I haven't taken the EIT exam.
Eventhough I was able to grow rapidly at my first engineering job, After my first raise, it took them a loong while to give me any raise at all.
I was paid 27K for a engineer who was in President's list of honors and graduated from a Accredited College.
I knew they were underpaying me and was bullying too when I wouldn't go along with the owners b.s.
It was a team effort from their side to fire me.

I was fired over the simplest reason.
They were pretty much like slave owners. Not nice people. I have a supervisor ( who Quit ) after I started working there. He's one of my reference and I have an employee - a test assistant who is also my reference. They can vouch for me and my work ethic. I am a kid who's on his own in a way. I have no family here . Just an uncle who's in missouri city . I have my parents in NY. I don't keep in contact with them ,because of my mental well being, which is why I left NY . I am just trying to do something right and get ahead in life.

I don't have experience with Solid works or Pro E.
The company I worked for was an electronics company. But I do have experience with Pspice, Matlab. ( College ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: