Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Who is responsible for the relatively new landscaping on I10? 'Seems no one is paying attention to the fact that half of the trees planted are dying, or are falling down. 'Seems such a waste on what would have otherwise been an asthetic touch. I would think the state, or county could run one of their water container trucks to water the trees. What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Are you talking about out by Fry? I was kind of stunned at how dead everything looks there, and out at Grand Parkway. I realize we've had no rain, but jeez, did the idiots at TXDOT just fall off the turnip truck or what? Ugh...don't answer that...

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Are you talking about out by Fry? I was kind of stunned at how dead everything looks there, and out at Grand Parkway. I realize we've had no rain, but jeez, did the idiots at TXDOT just fall off the turnip truck or what? Ugh...don't answer that...
Exactly, all the way out to Pin Oak.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
What a shame. I haven't been out there in awhile. Think someone should've installed some sort of watering system.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 AM

Default Trash...

I left the office early yesterday and stopped by La Medeliene on the Grand Parkway and Mercantile Parkway... over in the lot by the cement making hardware, I saw a TXDOT dump truck unloading a full load of dead trees. So I guess TXDOT is noticing the sad state of landscaping.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM

171 posts, read 414,295 times
That's what happens when you go a month without rain. Can't wait for August.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
I recall a press release a few years ago at the beginning of the "greening" of Houston freeways. Part of the landscaping contract requires watering for a certain number of months, and a replacement for plants that die. I suspect that both TXDoT and the landscape contractor expected that their watering would be to supplement our rain, not substitute for it. They have surely been caught off guard and don't have the manpower or equipment to water as much as necessary.

I haven't been out that way in a while, and am saddened that so many trees will be lost. I did see a watering truck this morning along the 59 feeder road at Newcastle, so I know they are out there. Hopefully they have ceased planting anything new until the fall or winter!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 50,380 times
I have been wondering if anyone else questioned this. Not only the lack of water, but just letting weeds take over all of it is sad. Sickening to think how much money that costs all of us.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 31,690 times
Where have you noticed the problem, I am thinking of the new landsccape around Guessner and everything seems ok so far...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family5 View Post
Where have you noticed the problem, I am thinking of the new landsccape around Guessner and everything seems ok so far...
The worst areas were in Katy...Fry/I-10 and Mason/I-10...I saw TxDot workers cutting down dead pine trees in early August.

Everyone who knows anything about Texas knows, no matter whether you live in deep East Texas or in the deserts of West Texas, you HAVE to be able to get water to your plants/trees etc...especially when they are in infancy and especially during extreme drought! Some heads should roll over this...what a ridiculous, blatant and completely visible waste of tax payer money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston