Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 41,814 times

Advertisements

hi we're thinking of buying a house in Rodeo Palms. Please tell me more about the community.

What about Southwyck? I've read that place here in the forums. Does it have a good elementary school? What's the price range of the houses?

and also is I would like to know how's the commute to Deer Park TX from Rodeo Palms or Southwyck? Work will be at Deer Park.

Buying a house is such a big decision, want to consider everything.

Any other communities that I should look into?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Friendswood,Clear lake, League City would be a better alternative as far as commute. The Belt8/288 interchange is brutal

Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Southwyck was built in the 90's - decent construction - prices average $160K - some are larger and more - some are smaller and less. I would pick it over Rodeo Palms - some foreclosures and short sales are driving values there down a little, and new construction still in progress. If you plan on being there for a long time, it really won't matter. You will get more house for the money in Southwyck - and in ten years, neither subdivision will be new.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM

thanks for the info.

Just wondering why Southwyck over Rodeo Palms? what are the pros and cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Southwyck was built in the 90's - decent construction - prices average $160K - some are larger and more - some are smaller and less. I would pick it over Rodeo Palms - some foreclosures and short sales are driving values there down a little, and new construction still in progress. If you plan on being there for a long time, it really won't matter. You will get more house for the money in Southwyck - and in ten years, neither subdivision will be new.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 PM

what about the sam houston tollway from 288? is it also bad?

Google Map is showing 288 then to golfcrest -225.

thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Friendswood,Clear lake, League City would be a better alternative as far as commute. The Belt8/288 interchange is brutal

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Southwyck construction seems more solid - and, again, more house space for the money. They are very close in location. I know a lot of people are hung up on "new". They will buy a smaller house with cheaper finishes and cheaper construction because it is new. In ten years' time that new house isn't new anymore - but it still has that ratty linoleum and cheap quality carpet. That 10 year old house is now 20 - but construction is more solid, and finishes might have included more durable tile and hardwoods. I have seen people bypass a house with granite for a newer one with formica. What is resale going to be in 10 years? If a house is smaller, on a smaller lot, with building construction issues and cheap finishes that need replaced - not very good.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM

thanks so much... this is very helpful

southwyck still goes to Don Jeter Elementary school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Southwyck construction seems more solid - and, again, more house space for the money. They are very close in location. I know a lot of people are hung up on "new". They will buy a smaller house with cheaper finishes and cheaper construction because it is new. In ten years' time that new house isn't new anymore - but it still has that ratty linoleum and cheap quality carpet. That 10 year old house is now 20 - but construction is more solid, and finishes might have included more durable tile and hardwoods. I have seen people bypass a house with granite for a newer one with formica. What is resale going to be in 10 years? If a house is smaller, on a smaller lot, with building construction issues and cheap finishes that need replaced - not very good.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Silverlake Elementary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: