Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 37,620 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a new high school and stadium is supposed to happen and will Firethorne, Woodcreek, and Pin Oak Village go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

967 posts, read 2,611,402 times
There is land purchased to build a new high school near Pine Mill Ranch. I believe the original projection was to build it by 2012, but that was dependant on the passing of a 2009 bond. Since that time, KISD has postponed the bond election. The last one barely passed, and rather than a "no" vote, they'll wait until the economy/population is more likely to pass the bond.

That leads one to believe that it will likely be later than 2012 when that school, or any future schools are built. Just because they have the "plans", it doesn't mean they have the cash. You can see all the proposed building on Katy ISD website. Just keep in mind the map was last updated in 2007 when building was expected to keep skyrocketing.

As far as zoning to said schools, no one will know ahead of time who will go where. So much "politic-ing" goes on, not to metion folks who were recently rezoned don't want to rezone again. For example, I live in Cinco SW... 2 miles West from Beckendorff JH. But because that school is full (many with children traveling 5-6miles from the east, there is no room for us, so our kids go 7 miles north to Woodcreek JH. Just because you live "near" a school it does not guarantee you will go to it, especially in the future.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Seven Lakes is soon going to be busting at the seams. They need to build that new HS and stadium soon.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 37,620 times
Seven Lakes already has temporary buildings and is supposedly the biggest high school in Texas.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,904 times
I don't know anything about this specific situation but our school district, Tomball ISD is in the process of building a new high school. When we were studying the idea and making a recommendation to the school board we were told to assume that it takes 5 years from the day the bond passes to the time doors can open on a high school. Our bond passed in May 2007 and our school will open Aug 2011 - under 5 years. But it would be safe to assume you couldn't open a new high school before 2014.

As far as rezoning goes, it one of the last things that happens. We have not redrawn our lines yet.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
There is land purchased to build a new high school near Pine Mill Ranch. I believe the original projection was to build it by 2012, but that was dependant on the passing of a 2009 bond. Since that time, KISD has postponed the bond election. The last one barely passed, and rather than a "no" vote, they'll wait until the economy/population is more likely to pass the bond.

That leads one to believe that it will likely be later than 2012 when that school, or any future schools are built. Just because they have the "plans", it doesn't mean they have the cash. You can see all the proposed building on Katy ISD website. Just keep in mind the map was last updated in 2007 when building was expected to keep skyrocketing.
You're exactly right, I'll also add that the stadium will not be on the same bond as the High School, they'll try and sneak it through after the school bond is passed. It will be interesting to see how the residents of old Katy and north of I-10 will vote..... KISD taxes are very HIGH and it will only get higher as new bonds are passed.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
You're exactly right, I'll also add that the stadium will not be on the same bond as the High School, they'll try and sneak it through after the school bond is passed. It will be interesting to see how the residents of old Katy and north of I-10 will vote..... KISD taxes are very HIGH and it will only get higher as new bonds are passed.
Well, it won't be too long until north Katy gets a new HS. Morton Ranch is in the same situation as Seven Lakes.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:13 PM

967 posts, read 2,611,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Yes, as one who has personally benefited by a new school being built (Stanley) I still wonder how folks in Katy in established neighborhoods feel about passing bonds to build new schools in the "boonies" I chose to move to the boonies so of course I will vote yes for a bond and support building new schools. But, consider if you will, folks who live in Nottingham, "old" Katy, even older parts of Cinco, whose schools are pretty new, in pretty decent condition. A bond won't personally benefit them, will they really say yes to paying higher taxes? Because it's all "what's-in-it-for-me?" when it comes to this sort of thing.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,495 times
Quote:
Seven Lakes already has temporary buildings and is supposedly the biggest high school in Texas.
Jeez, and it seems like a really new recent high school too.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Yes, as one who has personally benefited by a new school being built (Stanley) I still wonder how folks in Katy in established neighborhoods feel about passing bonds to build new schools in the "boonies" I chose to move to the boonies so of course I will vote yes for a bond and support building new schools. But, consider if you will, folks who live in Nottingham, "old" Katy, even older parts of Cinco, whose schools are pretty new, in pretty decent condition. A bond won't personally benefit them, will they really say yes to paying higher taxes? Because it's all "what's-in-it-for-me?" when it comes to this sort of thing.
That's when something like a new stadium would help. Also, a new high school on the north side of I-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Jeez, and it seems like a really new recent high school too.
It opened in 2005. Morton Ranch was in the same situation, too. The school wasn't even built with a 9th Grade Center like Seven Lakes was either. That just got added on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston