Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM

15 posts, read 106,643 times

Advertisements

Housing is cheap in the deep south in general because there is an abundance of undeveloped land and frankly the climate is not pleasant. I lived in Houston for 35 years and finally moved to Colorado this last summer. What a relief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:55 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalmartin View Post
Housing is cheap in the deep south in general because there is an abundance of undeveloped land and frankly the climate is not pleasant. I lived in Houston for 35 years and finally moved to Colorado this last summer. What a relief!
I ruptured my L4 and L5 disk walking and slipping on ice and snow in Colorado... Give me houston and a good healthy back any day of the week.
Snow gets old after 3 days when it turns to Black ice and cabin fever sets in and everyoen wants to get at everyones throat. Been there done that... I will live in Houston.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
Try looking for a house in the "inner loop" or galleria area (where I think the most character is) where it's hard to find a decent house under 350k. Btw, this covers a large area, not just some small area hidden away in the middle of the city.
lol, I think it is just ridiculous to buy a 350k+ home in Texas, even a 100k home sounds kind of insane. Seeing as how the property taxes are so high you would be paying like 10k for a 350k home per year! Then again I am a single, poor, college student hahah.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 AM

84 posts, read 761,395 times
No catch. Coming from San Francisco, living in Houston suburbs is ideal. The commute time is <20-25 minutes and you can get a 5000+ sq home in a good area from <$500K. Property taxes are slightly higher than the west coast, but cheaper homes and no state income tax more than make up for it. Most people just do not realize the opportunities in hoston.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 AM

37 posts, read 207,241 times
this is my 9th house and we've live all over the world. houston is a great place to live (this is our 4th time here). we love it...the cost of living is good, there is good housing at all price points, my kids' school is wonderful, health care is premium, no state income tax.

yes it's hot but everywhere is air conditioned and you can enjoy the outdoors year round. no ice and snow and no cabin fever. it's sunny most of the year. sure, there are spots that aren't as pretty as others but that's true of many parts and cities of the world.

we live in a beautiful area that we love that is close to schools that are outstanding, our church and my husband's job (his commute is ~15 min). we also find it easy to move here as the people are extremely welcoming.

we do pay high property taxes when compared to other cities but it evens out with the no state income tax. we were being considered for a move to denver and found low taxes, high housing costs and a 5% state income. pretty much the same as here at the end of the day.

we were really happy to be able to stay here.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Hi,

I'm happy that you and your husband found a place to call home. I've traveled extensively and know how hard that can be. I'm a college student so I can't afford a house at this point but the truth is NOTHING in the US is for free. There will always be a catch with everything. You get low cost housing but you have to pay high property taxes, live in an isolated town/community, will need a car and be far away from resources etc...

The real-estate developers know what they're doing because they KNOW what people like and charge accordingly. Houses in California where I'm from run about $700k *starting* cost. Apartments start at $1,000-1,200. Yes, it's a beautiful state that has everything but not so beautiful if you're being forced out due to economic times.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 41,416 times
Default houses in auction

Hi. I would like to know what percentage is the property tax. How much would be the house insurance for a house around 250 or 300;000$? How can I buy a house in Auction?

[SIZE=2]Thanks.[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 41,416 times
Hi. I would like to know what percentage is the property tax. How much would be the house insurance for a house around 250 or 300;000? How can I buy a house in Auction?

[SIZE=2]Thanks.[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
No catch. Coming from San Francisco, living in Houston suburbs is ideal. The commute time is <20-25 minutes and you can get a 5000+ sq home in a good area from <$500K. Property taxes are slightly higher than the west coast, but cheaper homes and no state income tax more than make up for it. Most people just do not realize the opportunities in hoston.
I am probably one of those people and would really appreciate it you give specific examples of these opportunities so that I might learn something.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post

Less than 20 minutes for a 5000sf house at 500k, door to door? Is that from suburban house to suburban office?

If it's from an exurb into Downtown/Galleria/TMC at rush hour, you must have a hovercraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston