Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

87 posts, read 167,507 times

Advertisements

This isn't unusual weather for winter, just a little unusual for early - mid December. This is more January/Feb weather for us. Plus, we mostly have short memories and just remember this past winter when we had such fabulous weather. Here's to hoping this passes quickly. It seems we went straight from hot to cold and didn't get our 6 - 8 weeks of moderate temps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Count your blesings folks...in NE Ohio it's gloomy like this from November to March...only waaaay colder. The sunshine here in the winter is fantastic. I can put up with a few cloudy/rainy days.
On the even brighter side- the cold nights have brought out leaf color that I sure didn't see last year. Golds and reds...it's not quite New England color ...but it's beautiful.
I think you should count your blessing, I'll trade with ya anytime

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM

102 posts, read 326,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Let's not exaggerate. The Pacific northwest is much, MUCH wetter than the South, and areas in the E, NE and midwest are just as wet as us:
http://www.cocorahs.org/media/images/us_precip.png

The trees here pale in comparison compared to the Pac NW, in both green-ness and height. Actually there is no comparison.

It's also fairly sunny here overall:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/climmaps/persun13.gif

And fairly sunny for December compared to the rest of the US:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/climmaps/persun12.gif

Overall we don't have it that bad. We're just in a wet & gloomy period. This will be over with temporarily tomorrow.
....and here's the data to (not) back you up.
U.S. cities annual rainfall:

Seattle 38.6"
Portland 37.4"

Houston 44.8"
Atlanta 48.6"
Jackson, MS 52.8"
Jacksonville 52.8"
New Orleans 59.7"
Mobile, AL 64.6"

Some other cities around the U.S.
Boston 43.8"
Chicago 33.3"
Denver 15.3"
Detroit 31.0"
Honolulu 23.5"
NYC 42.8"
Los Angeles 12.1"

You can look up all the cities if you want.... the South is the wettest region in the U.S. collectively.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Here's your updated winter outlook (Brrr!) | SciGuy | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

"December -- currently running about 5 degrees below normal and 2 inches wetter."

So short answer is no... this is a little abnormal.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM

293 posts, read 1,035,897 times
Gorgeous with sun today.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
....and here's the data to (not) back you up.
U.S. cities annual rainfall:

Seattle 38.6"
Portland 37.4"

Houston 44.8"
Atlanta 48.6"
Jackson, MS 52.8"
Jacksonville 52.8"
New Orleans 59.7"
Mobile, AL 64.6"

Some other cities around the U.S.
Boston 43.8"
Chicago 33.3"
Denver 15.3"
Detroit 31.0"
Honolulu 23.5"
NYC 42.8"
Los Angeles 12.1"

You can look up all the cities if you want.... the South is the wettest region in the U.S. collectively.

I think your numbers are wrong because Houston receives more rainfall than Atlanta. I believe Houston gets like over 50 inches.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Perhaps in rain, but what about snowfall? "Wet" is not just rain -- it's precipitation via snow and ice, too. We get quite a bit of snow here in New England and almost never have drought periods (unlike in TX where long dry stretches are quite common).

Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 PM

102 posts, read 326,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Perhaps in rain, but what about snowfall? "Wet" is not just rain -- it's precipitation via snow and ice, too. We get quite a bit of snow here in New England and almost never have drought periods (unlike in TX where long dry stretches are quite common).
Annual precipitation figures include snowfall.... keeping in mind that up to a foot of snow can equal just an inch of precipitation.... it's pretty fluffy stuff.

Yes, we sometimes have "drought" periods, but not what would be considered a drought further west. It's a drought to us because our tropical plants start dying of thirst. Two weeks without rain here and it's a drought. But then again, we can also get 30 inches of rain in one day to make up for it.

I have also seen the rainfall totals that put Houston's average closer to 60 inches.... but the easily accessible comparison figures said forty-something, so I just went with that.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM

52 posts, read 102,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I like the sun and warmth -- if I wanted cold winters, I'd live elsewhere.
Agreed 100%!!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM

52 posts, read 102,813 times
Quote:
This is not unusual weather at all for Houston. If you think it is, then you have probably only lived here a couple of years. Cold fronts stall over us when they hit the warm air over the gulf, and can spit rain for days. The South, especially near the Gulf Coast, is the wettest region in the U.S. I believe our annual average rainfall is nearly double that of Seattle. A previous poster said fog was unusual here.... either you don't live in Houston, or you never get up before noon. We can have morning fog for weeks on end. Anybody that told you it was sunny all the time here, or anywhere in the South, was misleading you. Look around, everything is green, that means it rains a lot here. If you want sun all the time, you have to move west, where everything is dead and brown.
Yes, I have lived in Houston for a very short time and that's why I am shocked by this weather. But actually not all the south is like this. Comming from Florida (the South) I can say winters in the Sunshine state are muuuuchh nicer than here. It gets chilly, but no bone freezing. And the days are blue, with no clouds in the sky. That's the type of winter I enjoy. Not foggy, cloudy, rainny, gray, and freezing. If I wanted that, I'd be living in Seattle or London. But I am in Texas and expected something different.

I guess I have no choice but get used to it...

By the way... Why is it that on the same day, Austin is beautiful and blue, and Houston is foggy and gray and ugly?? (I mean the weather, obviously)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston