Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,921 times

Advertisements

I am trying to move my family to Houston and settle here. I work for Medical Center . I now live in Pearland but hardly stayed and have a valuable connection here. I always fly to my family in IL on Fridays after work and am at work mon- firday .

I have noticed that there has been a robbery and crime here in Pearland and on top of that the houses pries went up exponentially ;despite the national housing crises .

My wife did not like any thing in Huston that is why she did not want to move with me . But now my baby is growing and she could not accept my going away. Any parent can understand – father daughter connection.. Therefore my wife is decided to leave her descend job and our home in a decent suburb of IL move with me to Houston.
Please give me any recommendation where I should settle with my family. School district is very important to me. I can commit 20-30 minutes drive to Medical center .

Thanks in advance for any inputs

Marlon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
What part of Pearland do you currently live in? I haven't heard of bad robberies and crime. Unless you are talking about the crew of 2 people who did most of the crimes earlier in the year. They where caught and everything has come back to normal.

Prices in Pearland aren't too bad. All the other suburbs will be around the same. If schools are important to you, then I could only recommend the other suburbs around Houston. Give that prices are "high" in Pearland, then I would assume that living in the good inner loops areas is out of the question.

The only problem I see is the commute. Pearland is about as close and affordable as you can get with a good school district and family environment.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
What part of Pearland do you currently live in? I haven't heard of bad robberies and crime. Unless you are talking about the crew of 2 people who did most of the crimes earlier in the year. They where caught and everything has come back to normal.

Prices in Pearland aren't too bad. All the other suburbs will be around the same. If schools are important to you, then I could only recommend the other suburbs around Houston. Give that prices are "high" in Pearland, then I would assume that living in the good inner loops areas is out of the question.

The only problem I see is the commute. Pearland is about as close and affordable as you can get with a good school district and family environment.
I tend to agree. If you can do an additional 15 minute commute - I would recommend Sugarland. I think your wife would like it.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Pearland is a nice place to live...It has some very nice neighborhoods and schools..I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on a home.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,921 times
Thank you so much, - Yes, I really do not want to live the inner loop. I like the suburbs better. I can only afford only about 270 K on home, since we are not selling our house now- the house was borrowed to us for living but not for selling. And as I say my daughter school is very important to me. I would really like information regarding the school districts in Pearland or Sugarland. I do not mind driving 15-20 minutes. Is Alvin school district good? I think that is the school district in Pearland.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryS View Post
Thank you so much, - Yes, I really do not want to live the inner loop. I like the suburbs better. I can only afford only about 270 K on home, since we are not selling our house now- the house was borrowed to us for living but not for selling. And as I say my daughter school is very important to me. I would really like information regarding the school districts in Pearland or Sugarland. I do not mind driving 15-20 minutes. Is Alvin school district good? I think that is the school district in Pearland.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Pearland almost entirely goes to Pearland ISD. Are you staying in west Pearland? or East? With that price range, you be able to comfortably find a good location with good schools.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
I think Sugarland is more than 15 minutes extra on his commute and they have similar if not more crime than what he is seeing in Pearland.

What you need to do is move to an area (known to be a good area) that is not easy access to a main freeway. Access makes crimes of opportunity greater. Old Pearland (toward Friendswood) does not have the ease of accessibility and probably experiences less of what you are talking about. That rule would apply virtually anywhere in the city though - convenience of being near a freeway can be a double-edge sword - easy life for you - but easy access for thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: