Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 AM

9 posts, read 19,215 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. This is my first post on City-Data.com. So I'm from Cali and am interested in Texas, specifically Dallas and or Houston. I can take the extreme cold (-50:includes wind sheer...Note: this is when I lived in Montana.) and the extreme heat and humidity (98 degress/89% humidity). I've read a few threads about this same subject, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective.
I've done some research of my own and compared the two cities, their economies, climates, cultures, transportation systems, educational systems, and health systems on a non-biased portfolio. However, before making a "decision" I wanted to get some of your views about these two great cities.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
No such thing as a best city.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Agree w/ Chris. Best place to live is where you can find a job.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Agree w/ Chris. Best place to live is where you can find a job.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Agree^^^^Once you find a job, it will be easier to help you find a place to live. I would NOT recommend moving to either city w/o a job in the current economy.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM

105 posts, read 265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhouiah View Post
Hey everyone. This is my first post on City-Data.com. So I'm from Cali and am interested in Texas, specifically Dallas and or Houston. I can take the extreme cold (-50:includes wind sheer...Note: this is when I lived in Montana.) and the extreme heat and humidity (98 degress/89% humidity). I've read a few threads about this same subject, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective.
I've done some research of my own and compared the two cities, their economies, climates, cultures, transportation systems, educational systems, and health systems on a non-biased portfolio. However, before making a "decision" I wanted to get some of your views about these two great cities.
What specific area did you live in California? If you lived in Costa Mesa...we have a Texas equivalent, and if you lived in La Jolla...well we can suggest something that is as close as you are going to get.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Please move to Dallas...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Dallas feels more corporate. Houston is more laid-back. You need to visit both to determine for yourself. Otherwise, it's like asking which is better - strawberry or chocolate.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 19,215 times
Very true. Yes, there is no better choice if you can't find a job, and I thank you all for bringing that to my attention. I was a little dozy from just waking up. Hahahahahaha!!!! One of those sleepless nights as well as one of those long long long days ahead. Its just everyone that I know that has been back to that region have said that they loved Dallas and that you should stay away from Houston even though the majority haven't even been to Houston. This is making me confused. Both seem to be the same in several instances but completely different in others. I guess I'm just wondering what your own personal views are about these two cities. On the subject of job offerings in both cities I already have a career in mind and some connections in high places (although I do have a back-up plan if PLAN A does fail) which they assure that they will easily be able hook me up: this is for a hold me over job. I'm planning a trip to both within the coming year or so to check it out and see for myself. OH!!! one more thing...I'm almost done with this comment, which is more of a university town in your own perspective? Just curious. (I'm not a Cali hater, I just want to experience new things, but Cali is expensive, which is one of the reasons why I'm looking elsewhere even though it has awesome schools.) Okay, done. You all are probably ready to come through my computer screen and beat the living daylights out of me, because of my blabbering. Hahahahahaha!!! JK!! I appreciate all of your comments in advance.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Neither are a "University Town." Dallas would have more of the University feel if you lived near/in the Park Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston