Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There does seem to be an extraordinary amount of homeless people and street beggers throughout the Galleria. They seem to think the area is very walkable. I frequent various small cafes in the Galleria area and these people dressed in their holy dirty cloths come in often with a handful of change to buy something small to eat. I wanna know where they sleep!
Some probably sleep Downtown. Homeless people do ride public transportation you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
IMO Galleria = not walkable, unless you are brave and/or crazy. Everything is very wide/spread-out and crossing 6-10 lanes jaywalking or at a crosswalk on foot to go to the bank or grab some food is not worth it. I've taken this adventure before a few times when I worked there and each time it was a complete waste. There is more than enough parking in the area if you live, work or visit, and you'd be making a big issue for yourself not having a vehicle.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
I live in the Galleria area and I walk instead of drive sometimes. I hate using my car during the holidays because the traffic is very gridlocked around Post Oak Blvd and Westheimer. It's best to just walk. Those telling you not to walk are just not used to doing it and have become too lazy or scared to venture out of their car. I was in NYC a few months ago and there were thousands of people walking around without a care. If they can walk several blocks there in much heavier traffic, then we in Houston can walk a few blocks in much less traffic. There are crossing signals at every intersection. Just be smart and always follow the crossing signals. Please don't run across the middle of the street dodging cars. That is dumb in any city. If you do decide to rent a car get ready for a major headache if you plan on driving down Westheimer and Post Oak Blvd during rush hours and that includes the lunch hour.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I live in the Galleria area and I walk instead of drive sometimes. I hate using my car during the holidays because the traffic is very gridlocked around Post Oak Blvd and Westheimer. It's best to just walk. Those telling you not to walk are just not used to doing it and have become too lazy or scared to venture out of their car.
Either that, or they are simply too busy to walk 20-30 minutes each way to their destination, when they could hop in their car and get there in less than 5. It definitely does get insane there during the holidays and for afternoon rush, but apart from that traffic flows fine over there, with city streets as wide as freeways. From the OP I assume she isn't coming over here during Xmas 2010.

As far as being lazy , I can think of a dozen more entertaining (and safe) ways to get exercise vs walking the streets of Uptown by myself. Ever wonder why most of the females walking around there have their mace cocked & car keys ready to gouge some eyeballs?

It's true the area has strip malls on most corners you could easily walk to from work or home for certain conveniences, but overall it is still very car-centric. If that area is ''walkable'' then any place in Houston that has sidewalks and crosswalks is also ''walkable.''

Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Either that, or they are simply too busy to walk 20-30 minutes each way to their destination, when they could hop in their car and get there in less than 5.
It takes five minutes just to get from one intersection to the next in that traffic. I move faster walking.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
I couldn't blame anyone if they decided to drive just across the street from their home in the Galleria Area. Lots of crazy driving and no need to be risking your life over a harmless little trip to the store.

Personally; I wouldn't recommend anyone move to that area if they were looking for a walkable environment. I'm a energetic person myself and walks lots of places. I've walked from TSU to TMC to Downtown and I did this with no type of public transit (Yes I have a car). But walking through the Galleria area is a different experience and one that I hated.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It takes five minutes just to get from one intersection to the next in that traffic. I move faster walking.
That always bothers me during afternoon rush hour there- stuck in car, watching people go faster on foot... my life like Office Space. When I'm out there to interface with the home office, it's the #1 thing I'm not looking forward to deal with every day again.

But like I said, apart from afternoon rush hours & holiday shopping traffic- it honestly does move pretty well out there. Morning rush (7-8am) is semi-busy, but still moves ruthlessly along near posted speeds, and lunch rush is somewhat better. You can easily hop in your car and shoot west to Lucky Village in 5 minutes, same goes for that BBQ joint Bellaire... or inside the loop to Upper Kirby - Montrose for lunch in <10 minutes. We did this all the time and still do when I interface. Took less time to drive to good eats vs walk to fast food, and much of that area is like that. Lunch hour only lasts for 1 hour.

Same goes for mid morning or mid afternoon errands or doctor/dentist appts. Uptown = extremely convenient location for those, <15 mins drive... if you have your own car. (PTO is expensive.)

If you want some semblance of a quality life over there, having your own ride is a must IMO. You can rough it, walk, take the bus, cab, etc but I think after awhile it would grate on your nerves and make you miserable. If you're making the money there's no reason to go without one, just so you can brag, get street cred, a feather in your cap, etc.

Last edited by tstone; 01-03-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Residences right around Uptown Park are really the only "walkable to retail" in my book...but you still need a car to get to Rice Epi. Crossing around Post Oak and Westhiemer or Sage Westhiemer is a suicide run.

But with a car, it's probably one of the most convenient areas to live in town.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,591 times
I really have not had these experiences. My opinion is that you don't need a car for the Galleria area. Maybe if your a little older, or out of shape you might. But, if your in any kind of shape you won't have a problem. I also don't know how much more risky it is to cross the street in the Galleria area than some other streets in Houston. Have fun in that area OP!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM

108 posts, read 231,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I really have not had these experiences. My opinion is that you don't need a car for the Galleria area. Maybe if your a little older, or out of shape you might. But, if your in any kind of shape you won't have a problem. I also don't know how much more risky it is to cross the street in the Galleria area than some other streets in Houston. Have fun in that area OP!
I was going to post something very similar having lived in Galleria for a little more than a year before moving out to Katy. Just realize the city blocks are "Texas sized," unlike Montrose, Midtown and Downtown.

The one thing I would add is that it becomes less walkable during the heat of the summer (mid May - October). If you're out of shape, you will need a car/bus pass for that part of the year.

As for crossing Westheimer, quite doable. Then again, I used to cross Queens Boulevard in NYC as a child -- the wide part near the mall (but without the benefit of the overpasses), not that rinky-dink road in Kew Gardens .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston