Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I really have not had these experiences. My opinion is that you don't need a car for the Galleria area. Maybe if your a little older, or out of shape you might. But, if your in any kind of shape you won't have a problem. I also don't know how much more risky it is to cross the street in the Galleria area than some other streets in Houston. Have fun in that area OP!
There's quite a difference between walking in the inner loop and the Galleria area. The Galleria area is built more suburban with wider lanes and less pedestrian friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
The biggest issue for me is the mentality and habits of drivers around there. Downtown/Midtown you have people who are used to sharing the road with people on foot. In front of the Galleria, instead of that kind of person you're more likely to have a 17-year-old girl on her cellphone paying more attention to her conversation than her task of driving on which she has a precarious grasp to begin with.

If you do the walking thing in the summer, just stay hydrated. I did one of my longer photo walks in the hottest part of June which was actually worse than July or August last year. I was OK until I got kind of lost for a bit in River Oaks and wasn't in a spot where I could just walk into a corner store or whatever and get something to drink. Staying along Westheimer or any major road that's not a problem.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 14,662 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions!I just got back from my 2 week stay in Houston and will be back again in another couple of weeks.I stayed at Hilton on Post Oak and they had a shuttle so I decided to forego the car. Here's my review of the walkability of the area:

1)The blocks really are huge! Upon checking in, I asked the concierge about the walk between the hotel and the Galleria. "No problem! It's only 2 blocks" was his reply. Yes, it was only 2 blocks, but the size of those blocks was equivalent to about 10 D.C. blocks. Still an easy walk, but something definitely something to note.

2)The sidewalks between Hilton Post Oak and Galleria were fine, but there are very limited cross walks to cross Post Oak. Fortunately, during the times that I chose to walk the traffic was light. Even so, I was cautious because the drivers seemed to either not notice pedestrians or seem annoyed and speed up.

3)I did walk around quite a bit on a Sunday and went to the Water Wall, etc. That area seemed fine, but still very few other pedestrians were out walking (it was very cold for Houston, though, so that could have had something to do with it).4)I took the shuttle to my office on Westheimer each day, so I didn't try out that walk. I did cross the street a few times at lunch time, though, along with some co-workers. We were cautious and it was fine, even if a bit like the game *******! It would have been great to have a cross walk at that light.Anyway, if I decide to get a corporate apartment, I think I will also get a car. If I decide to do the hotels again, I think the shuttle combined with walking works fine for that area. I didn't try the public transportation system on that stay, but I'll give that a try next time too.

Last edited by RobinR0408; 01-17-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,658,612 times
Not walkable at all. Very spread out. Don't rely on Metro, they are always late and the service is odd and doesn't help Houston's pedestrian-hostile situation at all.

You cannot hail taxi cabs in Houston. You have to call them and arrange for them to pick you up. They aren't used for everyday purposes.

Houston hates pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston