Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM

50,545 posts, read 47,353,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blawp View Post
Calfornia has a higher GDP per capita than Texas, and has the best university system in the nation. I loved it there. The only reason I live here is because my grandmother, who lives in Fort Worth, has cancer and is at MD Anderson receiving treatment, and I am currently taking care of her.

I work for an engineering company here right now, and the perks are terrible (our office doesn't even have drinking fountains). When I lived in California I worked for Chevron in San Ramon, had a great salary, great benefits, and lived a very nice, less stressful life. Now I fight traffic in both directions, see the most horrific urban blight on the way to work, and all there is to stare at are burned out buildings, power lines, billboards, and traffic signals dangling by strings.

I never saw such blight where I lived in The Bay Area, but in Houston it's just pervasive. I can't get away from it. It's tough to find a relaxing area here.
My advice, start drinking heavily and leave the locals alone. ta ta for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 PM

46 posts, read 43,567 times
I do not drink. I am too busy caring for my beloved grandmother and working as a chemical engineer. I do not often use the internet. What is a "troll?"

Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 PM

637 posts, read 3,241,817 times
Quote:
Hmm, I don't know? I've never said anything about Texan people. They're all right I suppose. One time I told a guy at my office I was to take a vacation home to the San Francisco area and he laughed and snickered.
Quote:

I don't understand why. It's where I'm from. Why would someone dislike me for something I can't control?

He probably just thought you had sugar in your boots...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM

46 posts, read 43,567 times
Well maybe next time I'll make a comment regarding his obesity.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,177,222 times
IMO, TX and CA are obviously the two greatest states

But would argue CA actually lives off its stunning coastal weather/topography, such that many novice observors fail to realize it has simply awful infrastructure: crumbling, pothole-laced fwys/roads (in a place w/no winter freeze-thaw-salt-plowing); City of SF is a bunch of old $1MM+ tenements that will likely collapse in any major quake; smelly homeless all over urban/suburban sidewalks....rather mockable when one considers CA's 10%+ state income tax vs TX's 0% rate

When one adjusts for TX's tax efficiency and pro-business ethos, TX urban infrastructure is vastly superior to anything in CA, incl SiliconValley or LA's Westside

Even more laughable infrastructure than CA is found in the even higher tax cesspool that is NYC region w/its 3rd World roads/fwys/bridges/lack of parking garages

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,922,671 times
Quote:
I do not drink. I am too busy caring for my beloved grandmother and working as a chemical engineer. I do not often use the internet. What is a "troll?"
(Helpful hint: look in the mirror).

Urban Dictionary:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,141,091 times
yeah california has a higher GSP (gross state product) as it is the highest in teh nation, and texas is second but on the other hand cali also has extreamly high property taxes and income taxes second only to a select couple of states. texas has no income tax and lower sales tax...... all this and we STILL have more money then california.

trollin trollin trollin. time to take your grandmother and move back to beautiful san fran, i am sure they also would be willing to spend your money for some pretty park benches or maybe a sculpture you can look at while your health care is sub par to what you could find here in houston/tx.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,139,946 times
Quote:
Calfornia has a higher GDP per capita than Texas, and has the best university system in the nation. I loved it there. The only reason I live here is because my grandmother, who lives in Fort Worth, has cancer and is at MD Anderson receiving treatment, and I am currently taking care of her.

I work for an engineering company here right now, and the perks are terrible (our office doesn't even have drinking fountains). When I lived in California I worked for Chevron in San Ramon, had a great salary, great benefits, and lived a very nice, less stressful life. Now I fight traffic in both directions, see the most horrific urban blight on the way to work, and all there is to stare at are burned out buildings, power lines, billboards, and traffic signals dangling by strings.

I never saw such blight where I lived in The Bay Area, but in Houston it's just pervasive. I can't get away from it. It's tough to find a relaxing area here.
So you make comparisons between the state in which you make CA superior then act surprised when people feel in an unfavorable fashion?

Seriously, either just stop venting your frustrations online or go back to the highest GDP per capita area (Bay area) in CA so you can look down upon us. I wouldn't want you to tell us where you live or ask questions to better improve your living. Instead, just start condescending threads, it's a great way to become popular!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM

50,545 posts, read 47,353,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
(Helpful hint: look in the mirror).

Urban Dictionary:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

So the OPs initial post then

Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,267,296 times
Quote:
Calfornia has a higher GDP per capita than Texas, and has the best university system in the nation.
Texas has a budget surplus, CA has a $30 ($40B, $60B?, not sure) billion deficit.

While life with all the goodies is nice, living within your means is actually sustainable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston