Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Sorry Guerilla, that's not anywhere in the U.S.

I grew up in Washington DC and could take the rail and/or bus to VA burbs and MD burbs or vice versa.

In Miami "burbs" (i.e. coconut grove, pinecrest, kendall) you can catch the rail and/or bus to downtown.

In Chicago you can catch the L train out to the "burbs" or vice versa.

Shall I continue????

Again, Houston is not public transportation friendly.......and cannot compare to other major U.S. cities when it comes to public transportation.
But you can catch a bus out here and get into Houston (especially during the weekdays). It may not be in Katy, but very close to it (Mission Bend).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,595,603 times
Guerilla, I know you're big on the city man, but ayanna is right. Houston cannot compare to most other major US cities when it comes to public transit. It's good to be hopeful for the future but not everyone lives/works along the Red Line. 2012, provided that there aren't any shortfalls/delays, will be a revolutionary year for transit because it goes near more residential/nightlife areas.

For now, there is really nothing to beat our chests about. To most people.

What is probably the fastest emerging and growing metro in the nation (Raleigh-Durham, NC) is one exception - they are basically copying the decentralized freeway/three cars per family/40-minute commute to work model of post-WWII Houston. And it's absolutely mindboggling that anyone would want to build such a thing in the 21st century, except that you remember one thing - there are those people who need to carry their golf clubs everywhere they go or they can't control their impulses to go buy 20 bags worth of overpriced crap at the mall every time they go out, because they can't carry them on the bus or railcar.

Those people have been catered to enough in this city.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
But you can catch a bus out here and get into Houston (especially during the weekdays). It may not be in Katy, but very close to it (Mission Bend).
Guerilla, listen travel outside of Texas to some of the other cities I mentioned, come back and post. I'm just being real about this issue and it seems as though you are in denial. I may not be from Texas, and in no way and I trying to slander this city. There are many things I like about Houston and there are things that I don't like. The same way there are things I like and dislike about my hometown as well as the other cities I lived in. Once you've had a chance to travel outside of Texas and experience public transporation in other major cities, then you will be qualified to comment to folk seeking info on the quality of Houstons' public transportation vs. other cities.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 361,157 times
I agree with the last 2 posts. After visting Houston many times, living in Dallas, and visiting other major cities often(NYC, DC, Boston, SanFran, Philly, etc) I can realize how bad the transit is in Houston. Be realistic Guerilla, I know you love this city but it relly does not have great transortation. Not like Dallas is MUCH better, but it definetely is a large improvment from Houston. Dallas light rail is ok and expanding, and Houston's really isnt that great(at least now)

seriously visit other major cities then tell us how amazing Houston's trasit is.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM

165 posts, read 564,687 times
Default Let me help you out a bit guerilla...

I'm a native Houstonian currently living outside D.C. in the Maryland suburbs and let me say two things:

1) with Metro subway, MARC/VRE (Maryland and Virginia heavy rail) and buses the traffic in the D.C. metro area looks no different than Houston. (And for the person who posted from this area you know that I-66 and the capital beltway are the same as I-10 and 59 coming from Sugarland!) The outerlying suburbs require that you must take the bus to get to the nearest Metro station so I don't find it that different than taking the bus in Houston.

2) Even with all the light rail and heavy rail, in many large urban areas people still drive. When I was recently in New York with friends we were driving around and there were a ton of cars. Folks let's not be disengenous if public transportation was getting the job done in places like NYC, Mayor Bloomberg would not be trying to levy a tax on folks driving into the city!

Now the trick to public transportation is to plan! Last year when I went to Miami on vacation I flew into Fort Lauderdale because it was cheaper than flying directly into Miami. I took TriRail (heavy rail) from Fort Lauderdale to Miami International and then picked up the bus there. I did not rent a car and thus took the bus everywhere. It was slow of course, but it was cheap and I got to see all parts of the city because the bus takes you through all the back roads and what not.

In Houston, you've got to do the same thing. I grew up riding the bus all the time and learned it liked the back of my hand. I lived off 290 and Antoine and would hop the 85 Antoine to get downtown and to work in the Medical Center. I used the transit center near Old Katy road to pick up buses on the westside which allowed me to bypass going downtown. When I was home just a few months back, I had my mom drop me off downtown so that I could take the bus to the airport rather than inconvenience family members.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to be a smart consumer of public transportation. Go to the website, use the trip planner, print off the schedules or write down the times and save your cash if driving hits your budget to hard.

C.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM

197 posts, read 262,199 times
Quote:
Sorry Guerilla, that's not anywhere in the U.S.

I grew up in Washington DC and could take the rail and/or bus to VA burbs and MD burbs or vice versa.

In Miami "burbs" (i.e. coconut grove, pinecrest, kendall) you can catch the rail and/or bus to downtown.

In Chicago you can catch the L train out to the "burbs" or vice versa.

Shall I continue????

Again, Houston is not public transportation friendly.......and cannot compare to other major U.S. cities when it comes to public transportation.
Going to agree that Houston is not public transportation friendly. (I think they're trying, just not doing a very good job, or so it seems.) You have to remember that the Houston area is massive and the geographical distance from downtown to the suburbs is quite vast. In more than a few major cities the metro area includes other major cities and other in some cases several other states.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
I'm a native Houstonian currently living outside D.C. in the Maryland suburbs and let me say two things:

1) with Metro subway, MARC/VRE (Maryland and Virginia heavy rail) and buses the traffic in the D.C. metro area looks no different than Houston. (And for the person who posted from this area you know that I-66 and the capital beltway are the same as I-10 and 59 coming from Sugarland!) The outerlying suburbs require that you must take the bus to get to the nearest Metro station so I don't find it that different than taking the bus in Houston.
Yes you may have to take a bus to get to the subway, however, most people DRIVE to the subway station, which may take 5-10min at most, and not eat up gas. Then hop the metro into the city to work. So no Houston does not compare to WDC/MD/VA public transit.

And in NY, most of the people driving into Manhattan are cabs and car services. Many of the cars you see which aren't used for commercial purposes are from folks that are residing within the immediate vicinity. Everyone I know in NY and that amounts to a large percentage of folk, use the subway, whether they live in Jersey/Queens/Brooklyn. Some live way out in Saddle River and they utilize a car service for their commute into the city. So while we can agree that the traffic is a nightmare in Manhattan, I disagree that it is a result of actual residents who live outside the city.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes you may have to take a bus to get to the subway, however, most people DRIVE to the subway station, which may take 5-10min at most, and not eat up gas. Then hop the metro into the city to work. So no Houston does not compare to WDC/MD/VA public transit.
I can take the 14 (Hiram Clarke) bus to the Medical Center and then take the rail downtown. No driving. I'm ~8 miles away from downtown.

Child hurt when car hits MetroRail train | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

PS - do not run red lights.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,149 times
Quote:
Well, people ride to the Park and Ride centers and Houston. It may take them five minutes, or fifteen, but they do it. The buses run in their own lane on the freeways, too. How is that different from the commuter trains? You do know that the WDC/MD/VA area is congested just like Houston on the freeways?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 PM

Let's just imagine for a minute what the traffic would be like in NYC or DC if the subways and other transit were not there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston