Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Bel Bel started this thread

5 posts, read 24,859 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary to have a car to live in Houston? How is the trasportation system? How can I know where to go? Is it easy to get lost there? What about buses and taxis... end subway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,246 times
Yes we have many Subways, they make great sandwiches and good cookies...though I wish the bags of chips, had more chips.

We have a great taxi system, if you are at the airport.

The bus system is great, as long as you have a car and a key map to drive to the "Park and Ride" to actually get on the bus.

The train goes from just south of downtown to downtown, its so nice, I took my kids to ride it as cheap entertainment.

Yes you do need a car in Houston, you can survive without it, you can ride the train if you live downtown (you wont go anywhere else)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,075 times
Ha! That was a funny post Charris...lol I'm considering moving to Houston at the end of this year and public transportation is a big issue. I don't like to drive and the cost of maintaining a car has become very expensive. Basically I would like to get to work and back, go to school and take care of my shopping needs as well as hit a few cultural attractions via bus/rail.

I heard the bus system is very good in Houston?
Rail is in place but is in the process of expansion and should be fully operational by 2012?

I'm shocked that the 4th largest city in the nation is so far behind with its public transportation! There are over 2 million people in Houston and I know all of them don't have a car. So people are getting around somehow and make a life for themselves, right?

Car is a "convenience" but is it "really a necessity" as some claim?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 AM

64 posts, read 413,443 times
I've driven around Houston a lot. I notice a lot of buses inside beltway 8. I live well out in west Houston, and don't think I've ever seen a bus out here.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM

So are you saying that the transit system only serves "select areas" of the "city?" How do people get around then, seriously? I can see if you live in the suburbs then a car is a requirement..but it shouldn't be in the city.

If Houston can get a rail/bus system like NY we'd be in good shape.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
So are you saying that the transit system only serves "select areas" of the "city?" How do people get around then, seriously? I can see if you live in the suburbs then a car is a requirement..but it shouldn't be in the city.

If Houston can get a rail/bus system like NY we'd be in good shape.
No, the bus goes everywhere in Houston. Rail is expanding. You'll be fine.

Metro Bus Routes

Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM

Hi Guerilla...You always have a lot of great info to offer...thank you!

I don't understand why people are not in one accord on these issues. It's like can't we agree if a bus system is good or not as opposed to some people saying that buses run poorly while others say they're very reliable. You see, it gets confusing with the mixed information especially when you're not a native and need correct information.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

Where exactly is West Houston anyway? What areas are we talking about jim?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
houston, TEXAS. not cosmopolitan DC, LA, chicago or NYC. Houston has existed without public transpo for years so never depended on it until traffic going to business districts became a major issue. this means bus FROM PARKandRIDE station IS RELIABLE (rushhours).
BIG Texas have big houses and big cars. Hauling big families, hauling dirt and gardening supplies, hauling furnitures. Its one of these pickup truck states there are several reason taking your own car (not developing public transpo) to work, unlike in NYC youre practically forced to take public transpo no matter how rich you are. first is airconditioning and everything about your private space.2nd is catching that last bus. my boss lives in the woodlands and the last bus from downtown is 6:45. you miss it youre stuck in a bad place. this guy misses all the bigwig parties which is really giving others a good oppurtunity

just play with ridemetro.org's trip planner. choose various popular origins and destinations. choose times, miss the next bus sched and see. let us know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston