Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM

352 posts, read 777,964 times

Advertisements

Does the price of gas not matter to these people? I know with my family between work, school and church thats over a 60 miles a day. This city is so spread out i dont see the logic behind these large vehicles. Me Coming from out of state i would have thought people would want smaller cars in this city but its not the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
Does the price of gas not matter to these people? I know with my family between work, school and church thats over a 60 miles a day. This city is so spread out i dont see the logic behind these large vehicles. Me Coming from out of state i would have thought people would want smaller cars in this city but its not the case
Depends where you live I guess. All the above for us is with 2 miles of each other. That said, I've started to leave the 150 at the ranch and drive the suv up there.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:13 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Well you know some people with large trucks use the truck bed to place large items there so they can transport whatever they have from one place to another. It's much more convenient in that case. If you have a big family sometimes it's much easier to get a SUV instead of a car. Simplest answer.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Texas will always be Texas.

In other words people ain't gonna give up their pickup trucks & SUV's for nothin'.

Gas could be $10 a gallon & we would still be driving our trucks.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM

293 posts, read 756,303 times
It's really hard to tow a 8-10k trailer with a car.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM

403 posts, read 681,243 times
The truck/SUV mindset is prevalent in many places, not just here. Moving here from north Puget Sound in WA state, there are plenty of trucks on the road there and the vast majority are not pulling or hauling anything either. They are single passenger vehicles routinely used for commuting. Some are your good ol' boys who'll never drive anything else. Same with SUVs. Many are soccer moms with a perceived need to drive something big. I certainly understand the utility of these types of vehicles, and there were several times I would have liked a higher clearance vehicle on some WA forest service roads in the mountains. In defense too, the way many drivers are on the roads here, it is probably a safer mode of transportation despite the fuel cost.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:

I drive what I want to drive to feel safe in my vehicle which is currently a 1994 Chevy Suburban. I do not fuss about the price of gasoline because I drive what I want and I pay for said want accordingly. I hope to upgrade my Suburban soon to a newer version.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
studies have actually shown driving a larger vehicle is more dangerous than a smaller one. decreased maneuverability, larger blind spots, false sense of security, and more lag time in breaking

in horrible collisions people tend to die at high rates in various builds of cars. when two cars collide the smaller vehicle does receive more damage (even if they didn't cause the accident). your perceived safety in your large vehicle is just you saying you'll just kill the other innocent person. cut down on the number of mega huge vehicles on the road would be the answer

Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 PM

403 posts, read 681,243 times
Driving like you've actually had some instruction and following the rules/laws would help a lot as well. People take on a different mindset in their cars, much like hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Is this a problem only in THIS city? Gas is expensive everywhere, and you still see people in big SUV or monster pick-ups they do not really need, because they don't have a big family or farm/business that requires to own one.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transp...ar-buyers-want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston