Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Check out this list -- is Ohio really this bad with several cities? No Texas cities on this list, even TX/MEX border ones. Even NYC made the list (for all those who want to compare Houston to it and complain that Houston isn't NYC) because of taxes, commutes, etc.

America's Most Miserable Cities 2010 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
NYC is very expensive. That's pretty much the only thing miserable about it. Nothing else is miserable about it. Point being, this is another stupid list like that men's health fattest city list.

I can't that list seriously. Look what they said about the Rams. Wasn't talking about the crime or the taxes or the weather. It was focusing on the Rams and how bad they have been. That means they are the 7th most miserable city in the nation? LOL.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 PM

241 posts, read 585,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
NYC is very expensive. That's pretty much the only thing miserable about it. Nothing else is miserable about it. Point being, this is another stupid list like that men's health fattest city list.

I can't that list seriously. Look what they said about the Rams. Wasn't talking about the crime or the taxes or the weather. It was focusing on the Rams and how bad they have been. That means they are the 7th most miserable city in the nation? LOL.
I have to disagree. I lived there for six years and think that's a fair ranking. Not only is it very expensive to live in, with ridiculous taxes, but it is unbelievably noisy, crowded, and dirty. Many things to do are a hassle and inconvenient. You haven't known misery until you're pressed like a sardine against strangers every day in the subway on your way to work, and the train stops for several minutes before continuing on. The people are far friendlier in places like Houston.

There are undoubtedly cool things about it but you make a lot of sacrifices in general quality of life for the restaurants, museums, etc.

Give me my comfy house in Katy any day!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
in noticed some of "beautiful california" on there as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
I guess it depends on what your definition of "miserable" is.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Dumb logic to list
NYC is miserable for nearly anyone earning <$1MM/yr...probably US' lowest std of living even for the affluent who ride smelly, sweaty subways/cabs daily
Best signs of low misery are where major, very profitable companies choose to move their HQs...and where are high-income jobs moving: Houston and Dallas dwarf anywhere in US on these metrics
Places like OH, MI, PA, etc deserve their misery: high taxes&costs, pothole infested roads, weak public suburban schools, etc....high-income jobs are naturally fleeing their abusively high taxes and anti-business ethos

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 36,384 times
You couldn't pay me enough to live in NYC.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM

55 posts, read 139,227 times
Me too, that why I am leaving. Lord willing.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I like to visit NYC and many other places from our fabulous DFW Airport, but I'd be miserable if I couldn't come back to Texas in a couple of weeks~!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM

31 posts, read 119,678 times
Toledo is not miserable in the same light as those other 19 cities. If there was a list for the 20 most boring cities then Toledo would be top 5. My wife is from the Youngstown area and I visit Detroit and Cleveland a few times a year for sporting events. Cleveland was listed as the poorest city in the country 2 yrs ago and Detroit was last year. Take a ride through the East side of Clev or any part of Detroit not built for a professional sports team... Youngstown is just a disaster zone. Sometimes I think that an atomic bomb hit it while the rest of the US was in a deep sleep. All of the Ohio cities are located in the rust belt northern half which have been hard hit by the loss of manufacturing jobs...OH is one of the larger states with 11.5 million people and a large chunk, roughly half of the state is still in "good" shape (the largest metro area Cincy-home to many corporations and banks, Columbus home to Ohio State, State Govt Jobs, and other large companies, ect)...these cities are not tied to the manufacturing sector like the Northern half..... How did DC not make the list. Long commutes, high cost of living, expensive public transportation, high crime....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: