Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 53,733 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a California (San Jose) resident and planning to move to Houston.
We are looking for a safe neighborhood obviously with decent schools.
Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.
I have two sons with Austism.
My husband works from home so we can move to any area as long its nice.

Thanks,

Yumna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM

967 posts, read 2,611,159 times
I would suggest Spring Branch ISD... Memorial area if you can afford it.

Spring Branch ISD is known to have an excellent reputation in special ed. Beyond that, if you find you need private schools (autism) some of the best are in that part of town... Parish School for example...

I live in Katy, and know several families who moved here, because they "hear" the schools are so great. Which they are... for your "average" student. But the ISD is having to spend gobs of money on facillities (building new schools for all the new families coming in) so there is understandably less money to spend per student... especially on special programs.

Spring Branch ISD is already long built out. So they aren't spending money on BUILDINGS. Tada! More money for students.

I have friends out here, put their kids in Katy ISD special ed... didn't cut it... and now have to drive into town (Spring Branch area) EVERY DAY to get their kids to school. At least if you lived in the area, you wouldn't be spending an hour a day in the car getting your kids to school if it came down to it.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM

16 posts, read 53,733 times
Thank you Desovy.. I will check it out.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
I am in SE Houston, so I can recommend some places out here. Clear Creek ISD (in the Clear Lake area of Houston) has good schools. It is a large district with 4-5 high schools. It's one of the safer areas in Houston (relatively). Clear Lake High regularly has a large percentage of national merit scholars. If you want a small town feel, then Friendswood, Tx (right next to the Clear Lake area) is a good choice with just one high school. Friendswood high school is very well known for academics, and Friendswood is one of the safest areas in the Houston metro. It's not a very exciting place, but it is one of the best places to raise a family.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...neymag/51.html

You do have to be alert for hurricane season out here, though.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
For AUTISIM,not your normal student in a normal district, I would recommend Spring Branch schools as well. Even so, I know it's a tough battle with most public school districts to get qualified for any special needs. But as Descovy said, there are many schools in the immediate are that are private and have great track records for Autisim.

Memorial is one of the safest places in Houston, with it's own police department and almost no crime, however it's VERY cost prohibitive. But there are neighborhoods on the north side of I-10, or far western Memorial, that are more affordable and would qualify you for special needs in the district.

The reason it's a very strong district is that it's land locked. It can't get any bigger or add more schools to the District. Therefore all taxes and bonds past are for improving the existing schools and programs, rather than building more and more.

Good Luck

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,717 times
Spring Branch is the district to live in with an ASD child.

Horror stories never end from otherwise good districts in the suburbs & exburbs. HISD is one to avoid for special needs as well. If you can't afford the homes in SBISD, look into an apartment or lease a townhouse.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM

20 posts, read 87,971 times
Agree with what others are saying about SBISD. If you live in the nice areas of the school district you will be zoned to schools that are stellar (for public schools atleast) from 1st grade through HS. If you're looking for a closer-in home you're going to be with HISD. No middle schools or high schools are highly regarded (one one exception, maybe Bellaire High). The district does have quite a few nice elementary schools. West U Elementary, River Oaks, Elem, Horn Elem. Briargrove Elem is also nice (outisde the loop, not far from Memorial.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 AM

12 posts, read 39,366 times
One other benefit of living in Spring Branch would be the location to therapy clinics. Texas Children's Hospital is opening a branch within 15 minutes of there, Medcare Pediatrics is going to open a branch in West houston, and there are a number of smaller clinics, including Memorial Pediatric Therapy Associates on San Felipe that might be of benefit. These are all very close by the Spring Branch / Memorial area. Look at har.com for homes in 77055, 77079, or 77024.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston