Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM

28 posts, read 80,403 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Meyerland...the area that feeds into Kolter Elementary or Lovett Elementary, to be specific. Does anyone have insight into the crime in the area? The long-term property value? Also, did any parts flood very badly in Allison or Ike? Someone north of the bayou in Meyerland told me south of the bayou flooded pretty bad, but none of the disclosures for the houses south of the bayou mention anything as bad as the north-of-the-bayou guy said....wondering if he was just trying to sway me into moving north.....TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
There isn't much bad to say about Meyerland. Much of its long-term value is determined by the values of Bellaire, West U, and the like. So as they go up and people are priced out, Meyerland is a natural alternative (same goes for Willow Meadows, Willowbend, Maplewood, etc., which are less expensive alternatives to Meyerland).

The schools in the area have good reputations, and all of Meyerland should be zoned to Bellaire High.

Crime around there is pretty random, and the constable service is paid by the civic association to maintain extra patrols.

Flooding is hit and miss. My recollection from Allison is that the streets in immediate proximity to the bayou suffered the most, and many have actually had their foundations raised to compensate. They homes in strict flood zones should have to disclose it. I'm thinking those immediately to the south (see this house as an example: 4943 Heatherglen, Houston, TX 77096 - HAR.com)

I wouldn't hesitate to move into Meyerland. However, if you find yourself on the lower end of their price range, also consider Willow Meadows, where your money will go farther.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM

75 posts, read 225,803 times
Can't go wrong with MeyerLand. I won't say crime doesn't happen in MeyerLand b/c crime happens anywhere and everywhere. But crime in Meyerland would be less than other areas. And property values in Meyerland have been increasing and I'm sure they will continue to do so. As far as the flooding, I wasn't here during Allison but Ike flood areas all over the city. My guess is there were not any homes flooded but all the streets were. Flooded streets happened all over Houston. Other areas to look at would include Maplewood or Braburn Valley. Though these may not be zoned to the schools you have listed. Let me know if I may be of assistance to you. My contact/website is in my profile.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
There isn't much bad to say about Meyerland. Much of its long-term value is determined by the values of Bellaire, West U, and the like. So as they go up and people are priced out, Meyerland is a natural alternative (same goes for Willow Meadows, Willowbend, Maplewood, etc., which are less expensive alternatives to Meyerland).

The schools in the area have good reputations, and all of Meyerland should be zoned to Bellaire High.

Crime around there is pretty random, and the constable service is paid by the civic association to maintain extra patrols.

Flooding is hit and miss. My recollection from Allison is that the streets in immediate proximity to the bayou suffered the most, and many have actually had their foundations raised to compensate. They homes in strict flood zones should have to disclose it. I'm thinking those immediately to the south (see this house as an example: 4943 Heatherglen, Houston, TX 77096 - HAR.com)

I wouldn't hesitate to move into Meyerland. However, if you find yourself on the lower end of their price range, also consider Willow Meadows, where your money will go farther.
I actually showed that property last week. Interesting layout. Most of the homes are raised to help prevent any flooding issues. There are a few that aren't, I'm not too sure how well those did.

Zoned to Kolter elementary would be the best bet. Values should definitely continue to go up. You have a lot of people remodeling their homes and a few tear downs as well.

Overall, Meyerland is a great area. Not much bad can be said about it.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Meyerland is great I live 3/4 mile away on the other side of 610. Close to everything quite you can get a 3 or 4/2/2 2200 to 2800 sqft home for $300k to $450k. You might even be able to find a fixer upper for like $275K. I would also look into Willow Meadows Willowbend Maplewood Westbury all of these neighborhoods are within walking distance

Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
Lived one block West of Meyerland for 15 years, North of the bayou about halfway between bayou and Beechnut. Lived thru Allison, Rita and Ike. Never saw a drop of rising water even close to my house. Only problem was that streets couldn't drain fast enough so water came over the curb just a bit. Watched bayou overflow twice (quite a sight). Yes, houses closer to 610 along Braeswood were flooded very hard. Yes it was bad South of bayou. Never saw so much carpet stacked up waiting for trash trucks in my life. Park-n-ride at West Loop had 8-10 feet of water. Even though we were North of the bayou, technically we were in a flood zone so a mortgage company may require you to have flood insurance (which is cheap and people in that area are silly not to have it). Remember the Allison flooding was before the improvements to Braes Bayou were made. Property values have held up very, very well. As someone said, crime is hit or miss. Never experienced any ourselves, but did hear of an occasional break-in. Constable service responds very, very fast. The Meyerland "area" is a wonderful location if you work downtown or med center, or just like the "inner" suburbs. The only negative is the high cost of land (if you're buying, not selling )

Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
They've done a lot of work on the bayou in the past couple of years. Also, pay close attention to the flood maps. I'm in Maplewood, a few blocks south of the bayou, and I'm not in a the 100-year flood plain, nor has my home flooded. So the streets just along the bayou may flood, but not the whole neighborhood south of the bayou, certainly. Just look at the maps to be sure for any house you are considering.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,262 times
Go on the Meyerland Community Improvement Association and check out their message archives. These messages/updates about goings on in Meyerland are emailed to subscribers. You can subscribe. The messages include crime updates.

My parents live north of the bayou, a few streets away from Bellaire HS. They have wonderful neighbors, and the neighborhood feels relatively safe. Like the previous OP said, constables respond very quickly, and appear to be very proactive in working with residents to prevent and address crime. During the last hurricane, their power was out for 3 weeks, but no flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston