Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,494 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why you leave your country and then seek out people from your country. I have never lived permanently outside of the U.S., but I've lived for a month at a time in Mexico and I was, frankly, annoyed by all the Americans there. If I moved to Mexico, I would NOT move to an ex-pat neighborhood. What the heck? Why leave my country to move to a miniature version of it??

Anyway, there are people from all over the world in Houston. It's a big business city and business attracts people from everywhere.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Default For some reason, your post made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I don't understand why you leave your country and then seek out people from your country. I have never lived permanently outside of the U.S., but I've lived for a month at a time in Mexico and I was, frankly, annoyed by all the Americans there. If I moved to Mexico, I would NOT move to an ex-pat neighborhood. What the heck? Why leave my country to move to a miniature version of it??

Anyway, there are people from all over the world in Houston. It's a big business city and business attracts people from everywhere.
I think I would feel the same way as you. Although, maybe this is a language barrier issue.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,866 times
Default sa

sa

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I think I would feel the same way as you. Although, maybe this is a language barrier issue.
A barrier that only gets bigger if you live among people who speak your language. If you want to learn a language fast, live in it with zero exposure to your own language. I'd love to move to another country where nobody speaks English, just to learn the language.

BTW, 4 weeks in Mexico, you will end up speaking enough Spanish to get around. 4 months? You should be able to have coherent conversations in Spanish.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
HI, I'm an algerian living in houston Join the algerian GANG Group on facebook for all algerian in houston come on and lets try 2 feel not so far

Old 03-21-2009, 08:17 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post

Because it is human nature to find people that are like you or have a presence to people that are like you. I don't see it as a big deal. If I was an America, I would at least like to see just a little tiny bit of presence of what I'm familiar with in the area. Does not need to be a full time American city or anything. But still.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
As an American who has lived for about a decade abroad. Originally the idea that you'll just assimilate 100% into Mexico or Japan or wherever and be fluent with the language and deny everything about you is what expats seem to think is the reality if they only go abroad for several months, etc.

Once you've been abroad very long-term, there comes a point where you'll search out others who are similar to you, i.e. abroad for years like you, etc. It's just more common reference points.

But yeah, if someone is a tourist in Mexico probably with a short-term view of learning Spanish and going back home shortly thereafter, then it wouldn't be of that person's shortterm interest to hangout with Americans as opposed to that particular goal.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,395 times
I've come across a few and I won't name names but there are some employed in the energy industry and medical center hospitals that I know of. Try their various associations. Haven't heard of them building a community of Algerian center like many other nationalities have in Houston.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,623 times
hello,
i'm Algerian and moving soon to Austin. would like to meet other Algeriens.
hope to meet you soon

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,623 times
Default hello

hi, my is Abderrahmane, i live now in austin. Wondering if you still live in Austin or you left.
abderrahmane hadidi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston