Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times

Advertisements

Modster, thanks for the suggestion. Can you specify where they are? I'd like to check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Champions Colony

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Forgot to mention - my ex-mother-in-law lives in Champions Colony. Perfect little back yard - and the association takes care of the front. Maintenance fee does run about $150 monthly.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Yes that one, what about Old Bridge Lake? It used to be nice, and gated. Not sure how it is these days.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Yes that one, what about Old Bridge Lake? It used to be nice, and gated. Not sure how it is these days.
Most are 2 story. Same with Champions Creek.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 AM

18 posts, read 69,966 times
One thing to consider in terms of maintenance expenses is that all single family homes are not created alike. I had a 2700 sq foot two story home, and a major expense was exterior painting which I had done several times during the time we owned the home. Due to divorce, I'm looking at smaller one-story homes now and I rule out those homes with a large amount of siding unless it is hardieplank/board. It's much cheaper to paint a home with only a bit of trim.

The other major maintenance expenses are, as several have mentioned, roofs, and also AC and heating units. So I'm searching for houses that have recent replacements in those areas.

I have nothing against Condos but I couldn't find the right one. I am in an apartment now and I have to say I miss having a yard.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
I bought a new 150 dollar lawn mower, a 200 dollar string trimmer, and I got a blower for free from the parents all about 3 years ago when I bought my first house.

Since then I've taken care of my yard just myself and my wife for the last three years, throw in the occasional bag of fertilizer (one bag has lasted me the three years, small yard), replacement string for the trimmer and a gallon of gas. Let's round way up to 500 dollars for the last 3 years. Comes to less than 15 bucks a Month.

But then again I enjoy the exercise, getting outside and working in MY yard. I've also met many of my neighbors while out working in the yard.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Champions Colony
These homes look fantastic. Just what I want. BUT they would more than double my morning commute to UH main campus Since I don't plan on retiring for another five years or so, I can't imagine driving an hour to and from work every day. Right now it takes about 20 minutes.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
I think you might be able to find something in 77077 and 77082, but you'd have to check about safety in each particular case. Both zips are pretty safe in general, esp 77077, but pockets of bad here and there. I know Briargreen terrace has smaller 1story patio homes that are recent constructions and a little pricier but it's in safe neighborhood, your yard is small and you'd ahve a shorter commute. I think I see starter families and retirees in that subdivision mostly. Becareful about the resalve value of these homes though, but on the ohter hand, if you're buyer, the prices of resales have gone down.
Honestly, everyone thinks they LOVE a big yard, but many don't end up using it that much and the maintenance wears them out after a year or so. Some condos have a small ie, 20x15ft, yard and that's all some ppl need, a quiet private get away space to enjoy a book, etc. Esp if you're older, who knows when your health will decline or when the appeal of yardwork wears out. My biggest thing about condos is not so much the small yard, but the proximity of the neighbors, I like my privacy. If you're that close to retiring and do not want to move again in 5yrs, think about what part of town you'd ideally want to retire to and go for it. Otherwise buy close to work for 5 yrs and move again when you retire. You deserve to enjoy your retirement, live it up, it's your time, don't compromise. Just mho.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,918 times
I live in a patio home in Candlelight Oaks village and I love it. Sure there are some areas that are questioning but for the most part is quiet and safe.

I currently work downtown Houston and it takes me from 20-25 minutes to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: