Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times

Advertisements

The Japanese garden is a very nice garden. The rose garden has past its peak so it may not be so nice by the time you go visit it.
Another nice garden is the Bayou Bend Gardens (Ima Hogg Mansion and garden) The Bayou Bend Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like the pictures as much as I do. I'm still surprised that so many people didn't know we had a Japanese Garden. It just gives one more reason living near the Museum District is awesome, haha.

The Japanese Garden is located near the Northeast end of the "main entrance" of Hermann Park. You have to walk all the way to the end of the right path of the fountain. Then look to your right. On the windy days I am planning on buying a kite and heading to Hermann Park. Can't wait to go to the zoo also. Although last weekend(Sunday) it was impossibly full! I have got to find out about those Paddle Boats also.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Nice pictures!

It's funny how a lot of people don't even know the Japanese Garden exists!!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
because its not famous, obviously. its not well groomed too. The wisteria and crapemyrtle isnt working - but even I would try them to get a japanese look. I think bennihana has better junipers in their parking lots. all in all its a good attempt especially in TX weather and its getting better too.
check this out. this is actually just a small park where my apartment was back in Newark, NJ (bordering Bloomfield). I think its the 2nd largest collection of cherryblossom trees in the US. Its world famous and very crowded in spring. you can probably imagine how many people especially non-asians putting on their wedding clothes and renting a limo to get their wedding pictures retaken in spring
Cherry Blossom in New Jersey

look no stupid over mulching

Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Nice pictures!

It's funny how a lot of people don't even know the Japanese Garden exists!!
There are a lot of things in this city many people aren't aware of.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
because its not famous, obviously. its not well groomed too. The wisteria and crapemyrtle isnt working - but even I would try them to get a japanese look. I think bennihana has better junipers in their parking lots. all in all its a good attempt especially in TX weather and its getting better too.
check this out. this is actually just a small park where my apartment was back in Newark, NJ (bordering Bloomfield). I think its the 2nd largest collection of cherryblossom trees in the US. Its world famous and very crowded in spring. you can probably imagine how many people especially non-asians putting on their wedding clothes and renting a limo to get their wedding pictures retaken in spring
Cherry Blossom in New Jersey

look no stupid over mulching
So you are comparing the small Japanese Garden in Houston to the Japanese Park In New Jersey? OKay, if you must. But, I'm sure Houston could do the same thing if they picked a place with enough space to do it. This garden shares space with Hermann park and the zoo. I can see you tried not to be to negative in this post, but it just never works haha.

p.s. Please try not to make this thread a negative one. I don't make many, and I am proud of this one, haha.

Last edited by Kenpar; 04-15-2010 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
So you are comparing the small Japanese Garden in Houston to the Japanese Park In New Jersey? OKay, if you must. But, I'm sure Houston could do the same thing if they picked a place with enough space to do it. This garden shares space with Hermann park and the zoo. I can see you tried not to be to negative in this post, but it just never works haha.

p.s. Please try not to make this thread a negative one. I don't make many, and I am proud of this one, haha.
Thats the houstonian defense mechanism firing up again.
First of all, Hermann Park (capital P) is a huge well funded Park with a manicured japanese garden. The pics from Jersey is just a patch of road around floodways(that creek in the picture), my mistake for calling it a 'park'. well it looks like a park but theres no seats, no utilities etc. what happened there was a few decades ago someone had a vision and planted all these specific trees (like the random trees at Hermann park) and they grew with no gardener taking care of them. One dreamy plan and a whole lot of time is better than hiring landscapers to make a fenced up 'garden'. soooo if the gardeners/designers at Hermann park have a bit of vision they could PLANT THE RIGHT TREES NOW so the next generation would be able to get a better japanese garden and not another halfassed puddle. They should remove the crapemyrtles/american wisteria - I like them but that just too texas ghetto in that garden

Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Ah, yes. Leave it to SteveArmy to fertilize our forums with his nuggets of knowledge.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 PM

youre welcome

Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm almost for the moderators closing this thread now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston