Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 PM

40 posts, read 125,467 times

Advertisements

Is the woodlands a good place for a single twentysomething? I'm preppy like sports love shopping music and having a good time! I know someone from Dallas that says Houston is grimy and gross but I may not have a choice, I'm from Vermont btw. Is that true of Houston and the suburbs? If not the woodlands where should I look that has a lot to offer, is clean, and super safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM

867 posts, read 2,978,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygaga View Post
Is the woodlands a good place for a single twentysomething? I'm preppy like sports love shopping music and having a good time! I know someone from Dallas that says Houston is grimy and gross but I may not have a choice, I'm from Vermont btw. Is that true of Houston and the suburbs? If not the woodlands where should I look that has a lot to offer, is clean, and super safe?
As a soon-to-be 26 year-old that lives in Huntsville, is from the Houston area and travels regularly through The Woodlands, I would say no. Houston suburbs are primarily tailored for families.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
The only suburban area I am aware of with a high concentration of single, mid-20-somethings is Houston, TX 77058 (Clear Lake). Mostly due to a high concentration of older college students attending UHCL + yuppie types that work for the many NASA-related engineering companies around + NASA itself.

If you have a job in The Woodlands you can pretty much scratch off that commute, though.

I've never been to Vermont but if it's like I see in pictures, then yes Houston (and most of Texas) does not compare in the slightest for scenery.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,658,318 times
No. The Woodlands is not good for people in your age bracket. It's a suburb

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Quote:
Is the woodlands a good place for a single twentysomething?
No.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM

192 posts, read 505,068 times
Quote:
I would say Woodlands and/or Sugar Land might be okay options for you, but I suppose we probably need to know a little bit more of what you want. Like other people have mentioned, most areas at the outskirts of the city are suburbs, which are primarily dominated by families. In terms of music in these areas, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion (in The Woodlands) holds a few big-name musicians each year, but that's the extent of my knowledge of either area's music scene.

Also, for a city as large as ours, Houston really isn't too dirty. If you think you can stand a big-city feel, a larger number of 20-somethings tend to live inside the 610 loop in various neighborhoods, with a more concentrated music scene.

I would say visit first, but keep in mind that the suburbs may not have your age demographic. Aside from that, it may be for you.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
I that The Woodlands was funner than that!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
No

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 AM

274 posts, read 762,349 times
Yeah I think you would have to see for yourself..It is a very nice area...my son is young 20's and would like to live there. I think it really depends what you are looking for. He is not big into going out and partying, etc...So around Houston, that would be a choice for him..Good luck..
ps...I have heard good things about Clear Lake as well, but I think the Woodlands is more upscale, etc..?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Having lived in both places, I can tell you that Houston and Vermont could not be more different. If you move here you will have to do so with a very open mind and be ready to embrace the differences... city vs. country, conservative vs. liberal, urban scene vs. outdoors scene. If it were me, I'd move to a fun inner-loop neighborhood like Montrose, rent for a year, and spend time figuring out what you like to do in Houston, and what areas you might want to buy in. Don't commit to a purchase when you're making such a big change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston