Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I don't get this. Every city in America, except Houston, has micro-managing governmental land-use planning. And what does it do? Does it prevent acres of ghetto in Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, New York and Baltimore? Did it prevent (or precipitate?) urban renewal disasters in San Francisco, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St. Louis? Why did most cities typically experience their most rapid growth before zoning and begin shrinking after the implementation of zoning? Can anyone actually point out a city where governmental land-use planning was successful across the entire city?
You're obviously never going to prevent it but these neighborhoods took 60-70 years to rot and often some of the worst neighborhoods gentrify at some point down the road because of smart planning. If the 'bones' of the homes are good then theres always a chance trends can reverse and neighborhoods can be salvaged see the brownstones for proof of this reversal.

Contrast that to Houston where the pace of rot is staggering and irreversible because the construction standards are so low. So those parts of the city with no character, cheap shoddy construction are just going to get worse and worse with no hope for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:27 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Here in Houston, while I'm glad CityCentre is there, and I think it's pretty, and I go there for Studio Movie Grill and Yard House---I wouldn't want to live there. It's as sterile and uninviting as Las Colinas.
The real problem with CityCentre is the same problem all new mixed-use developments (like San Jose's Santa Row): all the high-end shopping. It's pretty, but if I actually lived there it would suck. Where's my HEB or Randall's for groceries? Where's my barber shop? Where's my 24-hour CVS or 7-11? Where's a gas station? A bank? In other words, where is all the stuff I'm likely to use on a daily or very regular basis?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
You're obviously never going to prevent it but these neighborhoods took 60-70 years to rot and often some of the worst neighborhoods gentrify at some point down the road because of smart planning.
You are confused if you think gentrification occurs because of planning. It doesn't, it's a market process that happens in spite of the planners, not because of them.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
Quote:
Contrast that to Houston where the pace of rot is staggering and irreversible because the construction standards are so low. So those parts of the city with no character, cheap shoddy construction are just going to get worse and worse with no hope for improvement.
Odd. So rot is irreversible? I didn't know Montrose, the Heights, Midtown and the Museum District were always such highly desirable areas. I remember walking through Midtown 18 years ago when I first moved to Houston. It was scary. Rotting houses in Montrose, the Heights and the Museum District were pretty cheap. Perhaps my memory fools me?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
You're obviously never going to prevent it but these neighborhoods took 60-70 years to rot and often some of the worst neighborhoods gentrify at some point down the road because of smart planning. If the 'bones' of the homes are good then theres always a chance trends can reverse and neighborhoods can be salvaged see the brownstones for proof of this reversal.

Someone freaking gets it , that's exactly what I'm seeing.......for an example, you'll find "so-called" bad areas in most other cities that's still better kept up than Katy.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The real problem with CityCentre is the same problem all new mixed-use developments (like San Jose's Santa Row): all the high-end shopping. It's pretty, but if I actually lived there it would suck. Where's my HEB or Randall's for groceries? Where's my barber shop? Where's my 24-hour CVS or 7-11? Where's a gas station? A bank? In other words, where is all the stuff I'm likely to use on a daily or very regular basis?
Ummm, there's a Randall's (Shuttle to take you and your groceries back to your loft), a Walgreens, a few hair salons and a TGIF barber shop,spas, book stores, a Chevron, the post office, Chase Bank all right there......so I'm lost on what you're saying.

I wouldnt' want to live there but..if I had to move into an apartment while I did a remodel, I'd move in there in a heartbeat. I prefer to live on old, grid-system,wooded streets. Don't plan me into the box of winding roads/cul-de-sac life, that just breeds it's own brand of insanity.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-25-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Someone freaking gets it , that's exactly what I'm seeing.......for an example, you'll find "so-called" bad areas in most other cities that's still better kept up than Katy.
You're exaggerating way too much.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You're exaggerating way too much.
Obviously our definition of "better kept up" is different

Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:

Horse hockey.

Gentrification doesn't occur because some smart planner somewhere decided, "Ok, now Montrose is going to gentrify." Gentrification occurs randomly, because some brave soul or other decides to buy a house in a run-down neighborhood and spend a lot of money fixing it up. Maybe he's a gay guy who can't afford a $300k townhome in the newly gentrified former gay area. So he goes to a (usually) formerly black or hispanic area (or even deserted factory settings) and starts fixing it up, often alone, with no government help, no extraspecial planning on the part of the city, nothing.

After he tells 3 or 4 more friends and they start, then a movement begins to that area (tell me, what was Westbury 10 years ago? Washington Avenue?). The flippers watch the demographic trends very, very carefully. If the gays start moving into a formerly black area, and the trend picks up steam, then suddenly every flipper for miles is headed there, buying up broken down property, and refurb'ing. As the trend continues, the prices go up, and the former residents can no longer afford to live there. The nice black family that used to live in Westbury says, "Hey, I can sell for a big profit!" so they do, and then buy in their demographic's "next big thing", like Quail Valley.

In time, the area becomes fully revitalized and then the developers move in with multistory, multifamily townhouse developments and now the lower-end gays can't afford it either, and some brave soul (10 years younger) sets out to another area....

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Montrose was a seedy, ratty, run down neighborhood. Gays started fixing it up and it got to be the "gay-to". Then all that development started and now a single family home in Montrose is unattainable. Same thing happened in the Heights; when I lived here in 1979, the Heights was "iffy" at best, but all the cute young gay couples were moving over there and fixing up those dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets and kitchen floors that were falling in. Then all the cute young straight couples decided to start buying them (from the gay couples) and ran the prices up. The young gay couples fled to Oak Forest and Candlelight, and suddenly (last few years) Westbury, which is the new trendy gay area.

Then the developers started filling in the gaps like Rice Military, where just a couple of years ago one of my friends indicated there were still gunshots at her townhome every night. Now trendy for 20-something straights.

Oaklawn in Dallas was a run-down former blue collar/small commercial area. Gays moved in and fixed up these dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets....straights started buying....condos and townhomes started....now high rises....

SoHo ("South of Houston", pronounced "Howston", which I had hell learning) was this rotting area of tenements and the "artist" community (meaning gays, mostly, with some avant-garde straights) moved into these old dilapidated buildings and started fixing them up...then they got very popular for Wall-Streeters....

and the beat goes on.

NONE of this, not one scintilla, occurred with any urban planning.

Urban planning gives us perfect, sterile Las Colinas and perfect, sterile CityCentre, for people who like that sort of thing.

(BTW, Westbury is "Mid-Century Modern"---1950's and 1960's Ranch Style Houses. The very houses you're saying have no "bones".

Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Horse hockey.

Gentrification doesn't occur because some smart planner somewhere decided, "Ok, now Montrose is going to gentrify." Gentrification occurs randomly, because some brave soul or other decides to buy a house in a run-down neighborhood and spend a lot of money fixing it up. Maybe he's a gay guy who can't afford a $300k townhome in the newly gentrified former gay area. So he goes to a (usually) formerly black or hispanic area (or even deserted factory settings) and starts fixing it up, often alone, with no government help, no extraspecial planning on the part of the city, nothing.

After he tells 3 or 4 more friends and they start, then a movement begins to that area (tell me, what was Westbury 10 years ago? Washington Avenue?). The flippers watch the demographic trends very, very carefully. If the gays start moving into a formerly black area, and the trend picks up steam, then suddenly every flipper for miles is headed there, buying up broken down property, and refurb'ing. As the trend continues, the prices go up, and the former residents can no longer afford to live there. The nice black family that used to live in Westbury says, "Hey, I can sell for a big profit!" so they do, and then buy in their demographic's "next big thing", like Quail Valley.

In time, the area becomes fully revitalized and then the developers move in with multistory, multifamily townhouse developments and now the lower-end gays can't afford it either, and some brave soul (10 years younger) sets out to another area....

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Montrose was a seedy, ratty, run down neighborhood. Gays started fixing it up and it got to be the "gay-to". Then all that development started and now a single family home in Montrose is unattainable. Same thing happened in the Heights; when I lived here in 1979, the Heights was "iffy" at best, but all the cute young gay couples were moving over there and fixing up those dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets and kitchen floors that were falling in. Then all the cute young straight couples decided to start buying them (from the gay couples) and ran the prices up. The young gay couples fled to Oak Forest and Candlelight, and suddenly (last few years) Westbury, which is the new trendy gay area.

Then the developers started filling in the gaps like Rice Military, where just a couple of years ago one of my friends indicated there were still gunshots at her townhome every night. Now trendy for 20-something straights.

Oaklawn in Dallas was a run-down former blue collar/small commercial area. Gays moved in and fixed up these dilapidated 50 year old houses with 1920's plumbing and no closets....straights started buying....condos and townhomes started....now high rises....

SoHo ("South of Houston", pronounced "Howston", which I had hell learning) was this rotting area of tenements and the "artist" community (meaning gays, mostly, with some avant-garde straights) moved into these old dilapidated buildings and started fixing them up...then they got very popular for Wall-Streeters....

and the beat goes on.

NONE of this, not one scintilla, occurred with any urban planning.

Urban planning gives us perfect, sterile Las Colinas and perfect, sterile CityCentre, for people who like that sort of thing.

(BTW, Westbury is "Mid-Century Modern"---1950's and 1960's Ranch Style Houses. The very houses you're saying have no "bones".
LOL, I guess the 100's of brave souls that moved into Alief in the past 5yrs. will get the ball rolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston